I know you are busy. Great job on the whole saving NZ from a pandemic thing.
You are the best and you are my favourite politician.
Appreciate you are busy, but I think you have to call in the US Ambassador to spell out our Country’s concern for the naked abuse of human rights that we are now seeing in America right now.
It is the obligation of a Democracy to hold other Democracies to account because no one else will or can.
The horror of the casual violence used by American Police on their own citizens in a liberal progressive democracy is an abomination BECAUSE we are supposed to be better than authoritarian regimes.
We have to be held to the highest standards precisely because that’s the freedom, liberty & human rights protection that democracies promise.
When those promises are so cruelly broken, protest and solidarity is the only response.
How does one even respond to a man who would fire on protestors to clear a path for him to wave a Bible in front of a church?
Every time we tell ourselves Trump can’t sink lower, he manages it with gusto and flair.
This latest display of police brutality has been followed up by even more police brutality…
- A New York City police officer tore a protective mask off of a young black man and assaulted him with pepper spray while the victim peacefully stood with his hands up
- New York City police officers, in two separate vehicles, rammed a crowd in a street. Separately, a moving police vehicle slammed someone with a car door and drove away
- Security forces in Minneapolis marched down a quiet residential street and shot paint canisters at residents who were watching from their private porch
- Police in Louisville raided a public square, confiscating and destroying water and milk, which is used to counter irritants like pepper spray
- Atlanta police stopped two black people, inexplicably shooting them with tasers and tearing them out of their car
- A New York City officer used two hands to throw a woman to the ground, reportedly calling her a “stupid fucking bitch”
- San Antonio Police used tear gas against people. So did Dallas police. So did Los Angeles police. So did DC police. The list goes on.
- Many people reported being shot by rubber bullets. MSNBC host Ali Velshi says he was shot after state police fired unprovoked into a peaceful rally. A freelance photographer in Minneapolis says she went permanently blind in her left eye after being shot by police.
- Police have brutalized lawmakers participating in demonstrations, including New York State Senator Zellnor Myrie
…Police using brutality to suppress protests that have erupted because of police brutality seems toxically ironic.
Call in the US Ambassador and convey our shock at the unravelling of a country we regard as a friend.
America needs an intervention, and history is watching for your leadership Prime Minister.
Increasingly having independent opinion in a mainstream media environment which mostly echo one another has become more important than ever, so if you value having an independent voice going into this pandemic and 2020 election – please donate here.
If you can’t contribute but want to help, please always feel free to share our blogs on social media.