1. All citizens of New Zealand have the same political rights and duties
2. All political authority comes from the people by democratic means including universal suffrage, regular and free elections with a secret ballot
3. New Zealand is a multi-ethnic liberal democracy where discrimination based on ethnicity is illegal
This garbage is what ACT are dangling in front of Kiwis and are pretending is a stand for democracy when it’s the total opposite of democracy.
The Bill sounds good until you realise what it actually means…
Lord Cooke’s ruling in 1987 was an attempt to create a framework that gave the Treaty meaning. He ruled, “the Treaty created an enduring relationship of a fiduciary nature akin to a partnership, each party accepting a positive duty to act in good faith, fairly, reasonably and honourably towards the other”, and this has been the framework for co-operation for almost 4 decades.
…passing ACT’s Bill would remove that obligation to work with Māori making the Treaty meaningless.
This is a direct attack on the Treaty and the very value of our Democracy, but before I get to that, allow me to shit kick some of the dumb arsed Hate Troll talking points.
1 – While we on the Left lost the election, that doesn’t mean we can’t criticise and critique the stupid reactionary and counter productive policy this hard right racist climate denying Government have embarked upon! This is a liberal progressive society, we have every right to challenge and protest the cruelty of this new regime and trying to shout us down because your side won is a tactic to avoid focusing on the extremism of this Government brought about by Luxon’s remarkable weakness. So no, just because you ‘won’ doesn’t mean you get to implement counter productive policy without us criticising the hell out of it!
2 – Attempting to claim ‘we are merely implementing democracy’ misunderstands democracy, and don’t ‘one person, one vote me’, it’s actually ‘one person, two votes’ under MMP, which highlights the argument about value while pointing out you right wing trolls have no idea what you are talking about..
3 – This whole argument that “we the people didn’t have a say in Lord Cooke’s 1987 ruling” utterly misunderstands the nature of our democracy and is the intellectual equivalent of being a book burner! We have a representative democracy, not a participatory democracy. We elect people and pay them well and resource them with the best advice to make the best decisions, if you don’t like them you kick them out of office once every 3 years. Demanding a say in issues requiring deep wisdom, experience and technical skill is like letting children design airplanes FFS! You are all honestly smarter than Lord fucking Cooke are you? The arrogance of so many of you is just jaw dropping in its level of self delusion! I want a fucking expert making decisions as important as this, not slack jawed yokels who are frightened every time there’s an eclipse that the moon dragon is eating the Sun God. In fields that demand intelligence, why the Christ would you ask morons for their fucking opinion? It’s like getting them in to have a say over brain surgery FFS! Why would you listen to a fucking redneck on advice for brain surgery, or rocket science, or building bridge or building a legislative constructional framework that allows indigenous people to access promises made by a Treaty the conquering culture never wants to acknowledge?
I mean, who are you people to have such misplaced faith in your own petty bigotry?
Let’s be very clear, what the right are arguing for here with this Treaty Principles Referendum Bill is not Democracy, but Majoritarianism.
The benchmark for morality under Majoritarianism is that 51% can vote to kill the other 49%.
Great if you are in the 51%, not so great if you are in the 49%.
A democracy worth its name understands the power structures within society and provides a democracy that actually represents the wider interests of everyone.
What ACT are doing here is stripping away Māori political rights by strangling off any obligation to work with Māori. It makes the Treaty redundant so attempts to pretend this doesn’t impact the Treaty is just a deception.
Majoritarianism is not democracy, it’s authoritarian.
Democracy uses the State to build people up, Majoritarianism demands the State punish those the Majority despise.
We need to fight for our Democracy and not the empty legitimacy of Majoritarianism.
Just because you have the numbers to do it, doesn’t make it right or just or clever or worthy of us.
It’s counter productive culture war revenge fantasies implemented for nothing more than political plunder.
Increasingly having independent opinion in a mainstream media environment which mostly echo one another has become more important than ever, so if you value having an independent voice – please donate here.
If you can’t contribute but want to help, please always feel free to share our blogs on social media.