The Daily Blog Open Mic – 6th June 2022

Announce protest actions, general chit chat or give your opinion on issues we haven’t covered for the day.

13
87

Moderation rules are more lenient for this section, but try and play nicely.

EDITORS NOTE: – By the way, here’s a list of shit that will get your comment dumped. Sexist language, homophobic language, racist language, anti-muslim hate, transphobic language, Chemtrails, 9/11 truthers, Qanon lunacy, climate deniers, anti-fluoride fanatics, anti-vaxxer lunatics, 5G conspiracy theories, the virus is a bioweapon, some weird bullshit about the UN taking over the world  and ANYONE that links to fucking infowar.

13 COMMENTS

1. Handbags at High Noon in Tamaki!

That bloody Paul Majurey at it again!!

Goading Ngati Whatua to go to court again because he doesn’t give a fuck!

Here it is….the returned serve

Ngarimu Blair NWO.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/kahu/opinion-ngati-whatua-orakei-deputy-chairman-ngarimu-blair-responds-to-paul-majurey/HV4YY3HLJZMOFJMHBAD4RRIL54/

Here’s Majureys poke from yesterday.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/kahu/its-time-for-ngati-whatua-orakei-to-stop-protracted-court-action-and-work-with-other-iwi/6PXRESXFJAR344SZA2GP42RVIA/

I bet that they’ll be back in court by the end of the year.

2. Required listening for both David Seymore and Damien Grant:

Kim Hill – 9.05 Francis Fukuyama: can Western liberal democracy be rescued?
    (audio link not up yet)

20 plus years ago I thought Fukuyama was a complete wanker with his End of History.
    This interview now comes with the benefit of experience and time elapsed, and he seems to have rehabilitated himself, offering plausible explanations for writing what he did.
    I found myself agreeing with most of what he said.

(There’s hope for you yet Damien and David)

3. Article from the generation Z at Granny, – example of modern journalism, or lack of it, a subjective interpretation of a handful of ones privileged friends experiences modelled as being for an entire generation. Heavily smells of privilege and showing a complete lack of understanding of other generation Z experiences in NZ. No wonder viewers are turned off news media!

The best years of your life? How Covid scarred an entire generation.
    https://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/the-best-years-of-your-life-how-covid-scarred-an-entire-generation/ZRZHYLSC2LQKNXRWB6XYZXNWVY/

Nikita Kent, 23
    Before the pandemic began, Nikita Kent had her future well mapped out. In February 2020, she was based in Tokyo and about to catch a flight to Zhenjiang, China, to study Mandarin. After that, she planned to pursue her master’s in one of the world’s major cities. As global concerns grew about the Covid outbreak in China, Kent decided to head back to Aotearoa. With limited options available, she quickly enrolled in a computer science course at Auckland University of Technology (AUT). “Thankfully, the AUT admin staff were quick and let me enrol with really short notice.”

After five years of being away from home, she had little choice but to move back in with her parents.

While grateful she has been able to build on “hard skills” over the past two years, she is immensely relieved that New Zealand’s borders are now open again. She is due to fly back to Japan this month, where she will be studying for a master’s in economics at the University of Tokyo on a full academic scholarship.

Kent is firm in her belief that “there’s so much you can learn and do while you’re young, mobile and have no dependants”. She feels, however, that she has already missed out on much of that potential growth.

“I am now 23, but I still feel like I’m 21 – like my character development has been frozen by two years. There is only so much you can develop when you’re sitting at home all day.”

Melissa, 22

Melissa (last name withheld) is a fourth-year law and arts student studying at the University of Auckland. She’s a second-generation Chinese-Kiwi and the first in her immediate family to pursue tertiary education.

She has two younger siblings who dream of going to medical school and another who wants to study abroad. All are still at high school, and for the past two years her time has been divided between focusing on her online studies and acting as a home tutor for her siblings.

Melissa can’t recall the last time she was able to see the surface of her family’s dining table. For the past two years, it has been covered with NCEA study guides, computer monitors and bulky law textbooks. Last year, her family’s Wi-Fi connection struggled to cope with all four siblings attending different online classes: “One of us was always lagging.”

For Melissa, a persistent concern is whether she will be an attractive candidate for future employers. She has now spent half of her degree learning remotely. Even her recent summer internship was done completely online.

“The industry I’m hoping to enter is particularly competitive, so internships are a great way to help develop rapport with future employers,” she says. “[But] I spent three months answering emails in my PJs. By the end of my internship, I knew hardly any of my team members.”

She is worried about whether she has developed the social and practical skills that employers want. “I like to think that I’m a fast learner, but I’ve had limited opportunities to apply myself in a practical sense.”

Josef Shadwell, 25

Josef Shadwell currently works as a communications and engagement adviser to the mayor of Lower Hutt. Although the job has good prospects, he doesn’t plan to stay much longer. Like many of his mates, he has recently moved back in with his parents so he can save more money to travel overseas. In July, he plans to fly to London with almost 40 of his friends.

While the pandemic has pushed out the time frame for their “big OE”, he remains grateful for everything New Zealand has done throughout the pandemic. “I’m happy that our Government was able to respond so well … It allowed members of my family who were immunocompromised to be well looked after.”
    But now that we seem to be past the worst of it, he is keen for new experiences. “Now that I’ve settled into a stable job, it may not seem like the smartest decision to leave, especially when I don’t have a job lined up. But all my friends are in a similar boat. We’ve all started our careers and are choosing to walk away from them.”

Nam Woon Kim, 24

In 2019, Nam Woon Kim visited Korea, where he was born, for the first time in 14 years. He knew instantly that he wanted to return there to live and work, but the pandemic disrupted his plans.

Kim has just finished as editor at AUT’s student magazine, Debate, and has booked a flight to Cyprus, where he will be based for just over a month, before travelling on to mainland Europe.

He does not regard the past two years as a waste of time. “Doors that were open two years ago are still open now; the difference is now I have slightly more money. Although I would have loved to do a brief stint in Korea by now, it’s not the biggest loss.”

He started both his career and a new relationship during the pandemic, two things he doubts he would have done if the borders were open. He also believes he has picked up a lot of skills and has rediscovered his passion for writing.

Hazel Creevey, 20

In March 2020, Hazel Creevey was one of nearly 800 high school leavers looking forward to their first taste of independence in Auckland University student hall Waipārūrū. Like most young people moving out of home for the first time, she was excited about meeting fresh faces and making the most of her late teens.

Shortly after she left home, New Zealand entered its first Level Four lockdown and she made a snap decision to return to her parents’ house. She was not alone in her decision: “Roughly two students on each floor decided to stay.”

Her university experience has been nothing like it was portrayed in glossy brochures in her high school careers office. For a start, most of her education has taken place on a laptop screen. During Zoom calls with dozens of other students, most have their cameras turned off. Instead of lively discussions, she has had to endure sustained silences.

After completing two years of her conjoint arts and business degree, Creevey decided to step away from her studies and focus on her small business repurposing woollen blankets into jackets. But in July, she is due to return to her studies, this time at Yoobee College of Creative Innovation in Auckland, where she plans to complete a design certificate instead.

Although it is not uncommon for people to change paths while they are studying, Creevey wonders whether online learning and Covid can be divorced from her decisions. “I’ve always been someone who has performed well academically, but I also enjoy in-person and practical styles of learning, which is something online learning doesn’t offer.”

• Seriously are you peddling this shit? Oh poor widdle ole me!
      FFS the world got lockdown!!
      It was the best thing for the environment! Emissions and the Pollution levels dropped by more than 30%!

Every generation has some kind of trauma, you know when wars or political upheaval arrives on your doorstep uninvited.

What maturity does, ‘life’ teaches you is that you learn to live with it and you can go get some counselling or grow the fuck up!

Encouraging the Zs and Ms to be victims of something that everyone else had to deal with too doesn’t help anyone at all.

If there is something to blame it all on. That would be neoliberalism, and capitalism of the Chicago kind.

• Seriously Tane are you so narrow minded that you don’t bother to read the full text of a comment. Just shoot from the hip at the noise.
        Savenz is probably more concerned about NZ than you from what I read. He/she certainly keeps up with relevant news affecting us and our world, and passes it on so we all can be aware and not frozen rabbits in the road staring at the headlights.

I don’t think that you in charge of NZ would have a mindset to understand all the needs of people in this country even just those who are Maori. However you might set to and impose on them the ideas of the right way for Maori to think. I hope I am wrong about this.

4. I found a good song for Labour and really all NZ politicians and fellow travellers.
    ‘Rawhide’ as sung with relish in The Blues Brothers has good lines:

…Keep movin’, movin’, movin’
    Though they’re disaprovin’
    Keep them doggies movin’,
    Rawhide
    Don’t try to understand ’em
    Just rope, throw, and brand ’em
    Soon we’ll be livin’ high and wide

My heart’s calculatin’
    My true love will be waitin’
    Be waitin’ at the end of my ride
    Move ’em on
    (Head em’ up!)
    Head em’ up
    (Move ’em on!)
    Move ’em on
    (Head em’ up!)
    Rawhide!

Cut em’ out
    (Ride ’em in!)
    Ride ’em in
    (Cut em’ out!)
    Cut em’ out
    Ride ’em in,
    Rawhide!
    Yah! (whip crack)

Rollin’ rollin’,rollin’
    Rollin’ rollin’ rollin’ Yah! (whip crack)
    Rollin’ rollin’ rollin’
    Rollin’ rollin’ rollin’
    Rawhiiide…
    https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/bluesbrothers/themefromrawhide.html
    (It is a coincidence that there was talk about blowing a fuse which is a word that keeps occurring these days, or often, confused. The link also has lyrics to Sweet Home Chicago from where so much economic persiflage has flowed.)