This is Carbon Neutral 2050
Over at the terribly dull Standard, the Labour Party cheerleaders are in full voice…
I suspect a few lefties are now weighing up the failure to put forward a capital gains tax with the success in putting forward a zero carbon target and thinking that the compromise was an appropriate one.
…what a load of arse. If you honestly think being carbon Neutral by 2050 is the solution, you don’t understand the fucking problem.
Let’s put aside that none of this Carbon Neutral 2050 stuff is actually enforceable and that while methane doesn’t have the life of carbon, it’s over 20 times more potent at holding heat. This means a small spike of methane can have huge impacts on the planet.
Being soft on methane is such a spineless move for a sunset industry like dairy who even in their death throws of being economically viable in the wake of synthetic meat and milk still manage to drag our collective feet on any meaningful legislation.
Methane is now becoming the new danger front on climate change. The huge amounts of frozen methane on the bottom of warming oceans and the methane that is pouring out of the permafrost all look like tipping point events that once embarked upon we can’t do anything to stop.
The Greens, who know this, are using environmentalism to get elected but aren’t prepared to be radical enough to do the things that must be done, and this isn’t the first example.
Take the new Government’s much vaunted decision to ban future oil exploration rights. The decision does bugger all for the here and now, they are just vacant promises made in the future sometime which can be easily reversed.
Look at the pure sophistry of making NZ carbon neutral by 2050.
By 2030, over 50% of the oceans will be collapsing as bio-habitats.
By 2030, East Coast cities in the U.S. can expect to see two to three-times as many flooding incidents.
By 2030, 122million will be driven into extreme poverty as direct result of climate change.
By 2030, 100million will die as a direct consequence of climate change.
By 2030, even if the Paris Agreement is actually implemented, we will see a planet warm to 3.4 degrees by the end of this century meaning there will effectively be no future civilisation capable of surviving on a planet that warm.
2030, the number of extremely hot days — classified as maximum temperatures of more than 35C — are tipped to climb in all capital cities.
And by 2050 NZ might be carbon neutral.
See, when you actually compare what the planet will look like by 2030, being carbon neutral by 2050 looks meaningless doesn’t it?
The magnitude of what we need to do to adapt to counter the nightmare unending capitalism has wrought upon the planet is simply beyond the capacity of the current political establishment and that is most apparent with the Greens.
This is less transformative and more glacial, except there won’t be any glaciers by 2050.
I think we need to stop seeing ourselves as a country because that lulls us into a false belief that there are many levels of oversight at work when NZs deregulated neoliberal civil service is threadbare and rubbed raw. We need to start redefining ourselves as an Island, which immediately resets values of sustainability.
To survive climate change we must embark upon Fortress Aotearoa…
- Move away from intensive farming and look to become domestically self sustainable in terms of food.
- Solar panels on every roof by 2030
- Insulation in every house by 2030
- Investment in our own pharmaceutical industry for basic medicines.
- Immediately ban all water exports
- 5 year Parliamentary term.
- Upper and Lower House (Upper House 50-50 split between Māori & Pakeha that can hold up legislation if unhappy about Treaty issues)
- Massive investment into R&D from Government with the understanding research is to benefit NZ first before sold offshore.
- Large scale increase in Navy, Army & Airforce.
- Mass limiting of tourism numbers with increased tourist taxes.
- Only citizens can vote.
- Sustainable immigration and an end to exploitative international student workers.
- Resettlement Programms for all pacific island neighbours.
- Increase refugee in take to 5000 per year
- Fully funded public services.
- Mass Green housing rebuild.
- 100% renewable energy for entire country.
- Massive tree planting across previous farming land.
- Wholesale re-write of state services act to end commercial values.
- Financial transaction tax
- Wealth tax
- Multinational tax
- Inheritance tax
We either take the science seriously and move to radically adapt with some foresight or we have our hands forced by catastrophic climate change with no foresight.