“If you’re not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing.” Malcolm X
- That Israel had doubled its population of Palestinian prisoners to 10,000 over the last three weeks – this includes the mass incarceration of 4,000 Palestinians from Gaza who had work permits for Israel. Israel doesn’t muck around with a couple of hundred hostages – it takes them en masse in their thousands – incarcerated in army bases.
- The truth about Hamas. Israeli propaganda about Hamas is dominant in our mainstream media. For the past six years Hamas has accepted the existence of Israel based on 1967 borders – pretty much the same policy as the New Zealand government and the vast majority of countries in the world.
“Hamas affirms that its conflict is with the Zionist project not with the Jews because of their religion. Hamas does not wage a struggle against the Jews because they are Jewish but wages a struggle against the Zionists who occupy Palestine. Yet, it is the Zionists who constantly identify Judaism and the Jews with their own colonial project and illegal entity.”
This is no secret and was widely reported at the time but our mainstream media repeat Israeli lies ad nauseum and unchallenged. We repeatedly hear that “Hamas wants to kill all the Jews”, “Hamas wants to drive the Jews into the sea”. Israeli apologists Chris Bishop and Chris Trotter have both repeated these lies in the last couple of days.
3. Almost a complete absence of local Palestinian voices and those of Jewish supporters of the Palestinian struggle. Israeli voices dominate on TV, radio and in newspapers.
4. The maps which show Israel theft of Palestinian land, ethnic cleansing, illegal Israeli settlements and the mass of roadblocks and checkpoints which make Palestinian lives almost impossible.
5. The genocidal talk of Israel leaders which the Israeli military is putting into genocidal practice. In the last few days Israeli PM Netanyahu has invoked the Amaleks in the Old testament of the bible to tell Israel soldiers how they should treat Palestinians. Video here. The biblical reference he used says:
“Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass,” (1 Samuel 15:3).
The Israeli military are taking him at his word. Netanyahu has a long history of genocidal incitement against Palestinians. He describes Palestinians with Israeli citizenship as an “existential threat to Israel” and says “the way to deal with Palestinians is to beat them up. Not once but repeatedly, beat them up so it hurts so badly, until its unbearable”.
Genocide always starts with words…
6. That the Palestinian people have the right to resist their coloniser Israel, including through armed struggle. This is enshrined in UN Resolution 2625, as “the legitimacy of the struggle of peoples for independence, territorial integrity, national unity and liberation from colonial domination, apartheid and foreign occupation by all available means”.
7. That Israel does NOT have the right to defend itself because it is the colonial occupier of Palestine – Israel has run a military occupation of the entire area of historic Palestine since 1967 and has no more right to defend itself than Russian troops occupying Ukraine or Nazi troops occupying France in the 1940s. Just as it is Ukrainian troops who have the right to armed struggle against their occupiers rather than Russian soldiers having the right to defend themselves, it is the Palestinian resistance who have the right to armed struggle against their occupiers, rather than Israeli and now US soldiers having the right to defend themselves.
In fact under the Fourth Geneva Convention an occupying military force actually has obligations to protect an occupied people – they are “protected persons” in the Convention.
(Note: Israel claims a right to defend its borders. But Israel has never defined those borders. The separation of Gaza and Israel is not a border. It is a ceasefire line behind which Israel forced Palestinian refugees in 1948, and, despite their legal right to return, Israel has never allowed this.
Israel has no legal right to defend its occupation nor annex the land it has conquered.
Under international law defensive actions must be proportionate. Israel does not even pretend this is the case.
Has anyone considered the right of Palestinians to defend themselves? Just because Israel has prevented the creation of a Palestinian state, it then argues that without a state of Palestine to protect, Palestinians have no rights! Catch 22!)
8. An analysis of the October 7 attack on Israel and the constant reference to 1400 killed as though they were all civilians. There has been a huge amount of propaganda pouring out from Israel and the pro-Israel lobby here but no serious analysis which can separate fact from fiction including the numbers of IDF personnel killed and military installations attacked/destroyed. Haaretz newspaper in Israel has made a good start here but much more is needed.
9. Following on from the last point New Zealand must demand a swift investigation by the International Criminal Court into all war crimes committed in Israel/Gaza since October 7th – including the crimes of genocide and apartheid. The western world did this for Russia’s invasion of Ukraine – now it must be done for the Israel/Gaza war.
10. That Israeli hostages who have been released say they have been well-treated after the initial violence. They weren’t driven into the sea. Meanwhile Israeli torture of Palestinian detainees is routine and continues unabated today – here also
11. Ethnic cleansing of Palestinians in Masafer Yatta under the cover of war. Israeli settlers from illegal Israel-only settlements on Palestinian land, with protection from the Israeli military, are attacking and ethnically cleansing Palestinians from small rural communities in Masafer Yatta.