It’s funny how those on NZ Twitter screaming criticism of the virus was racist in February…
…are now the ones virtue signalling strong in isolation memes and constant hand washing PSAs.
Better late than never I suppose.
I appreciate I’ve been a bit of an outlier on this pandemic and from the beginning was warning this had all the ingredients of a public health crisis and economic meltdown.
I argued that the manner in which the Chinese were reacting with such heavy handed tactics suggested something far worse than their official announcements.
I argued that once started this would continue for 18months until a vaccine can be found and I argued we should be preparing for a once in a generation unique event.
Well, now we are here, what happens next?
It gets worse, lots worse.
Our only hope is to keep the bloody thing out of NZ for as long as we can and use that time to prepare.
- Immediate rationing protocols in all aspects of the market from petrol to food. Maximum purchase amounts need to be urgently put into place now because all that is stopping full blown panic buying is the belief that by 6am tomorrow the shelves are replenished, when that stops happening people will lose their shit, we must ensure that doesn’t happen by implementing 2 per customer styled rationing.
- The military needs to be mobilised and prepared to step in and ensure essential services can operate. And no Matt Nippert, that isn’t martial law.
- We should be considering releasing nonviolent prisoners out early because if the virus gets into our prison system they will not be able to save peoples lives in there.
- Food banks should be delivering to people, not having the people come to the food banks and warm clothing for winter should be distributed with those food parcels.
- Be prepared to quarantine suburbs and cities if the outbreak spreads.
- The economic damage will be enormous and has every possibility of triggering a depression which will require far more than the $12billion being used.
Once the virus gets into NZ, we will be living under completely different conditions than we have ever lived under in our collective memory.
Even if you get an all clear, the damned thing can pop back up again via external re-infection. The only way normalcy can be restored is with a vaccine and that’s 18 months away.
38 000 deaths are what a pandemic could create, those are numbers that would swamp our ability to process the bodies and mass graves would need to be considered. It will create a level of fear and uncertainty we haven’t experienced before which is why clear honest advice needs to be transmitted by the Government and why they need to be thinking far larger than they currently are.
Let’s be clear, this will end ONCE we have a vaccine, but any belief that life as we have lived it will continue without disruption during those 18months is simply not the truth of what we are facing.