Metiria courageously admitted to benefit fraud 25 years ago as an example of how the neoliberal welfare state is so broken and damaged that it forces people to cheat it.
Winston has unbelievably had someone from inside the Government leak an overpayment of his Super to political enemies who have then passed it onto contacts within the mainstream media.
Metiria had the media lynch her for having the audacity to tell her story with her chin up. We only respect the dignity of the broken, not the dignity of the resistant.
Winston has had the media attempt to claim that he purposely cheated the system to earn an extra $60 per week.
Metiria met with MSD to pay back everything she owed. Winston paid as soon as he was told he owed money. No one can talk about Paula Bennett.
5 things concern me about all of this.
- How quickly forgiven Winston will be, while Metiria is still some sort of pariah. It’s not that Winston doesn’t deserves the benefit of the doubt, it’s just that we refused to extend it to Metiria.
- How the hell did someone inside the MSD or IRD leak Winston’s details to the media?
- It is pretty obvious that Winston has been set up and that it is a political hit job.
- If Winston can screw it up, how many other NZers can be caught and burnt by this and why can’t we extend that same level of empathy to Metiria?
- No one can talk about Paula Bennett.