The right wing punditry and biased mainstream media are all attempting to portray this abortion of a budget as ‘left wing’ and ‘family friendly’…
…the reality couldn’t be further from the truth.
The reality of how damaging this budget is to housing, health, mental health, education, the environment, equality, poverty is criticised here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here and here.
And here are the facts…
- National is increasing spending on prisons & military in greater percentages than welfare.
- The tax package is heavily skewed towards high-income Kiwis.
- The bottom half of income earners get 20% of the value of the cuts. The top 10% also get 20% of the money.
- The poorest 800,000 get nothing.
- 500,000 low income working Kiwis get $1 a week net.
- Health gets a real terms cut of $200m
- Education gets a real terms cut of $80m
- It does nothing for housing.
- The extra $2b for infrastructure is only paying for cost blow-outs, not new projects
- Accommodation Supplement increase is a con job
- Cuts home insulation program when we know 1600 NZers die from the cold each year, that’s a death sentence for some of our most vulnerable.
…by portraying this budget as ‘left wing’ and ‘family friendly’ and a boost for social services is total fucking garbage spin by right wing pundits desperate to divert attention from the utter joke of this budget.
In effect the National Party have looked at the total impact of their 9 years of social wreckage and said, ‘screw it, here’s $20 each a week’.
To allow them to write up such brutal social incompetence as ‘left wing’ or ‘family friend’ is a disgrace.
Claiming this Budget is left wing and family friendly is the new Maori Privilege myth.