Well that was pretty meaningless with a hint of crisis management wasn’t it?
Jacinda Ardern unveils the coalition’s top 12 priorities they’ve agreed on
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, looking to see off criticism her coalition lacks direction, has delivered a speech in Auckland detailing 12 priorities that will drive the Government’s long-term direction.
She says it’s the first of its kind since the introduction of MMP, and sets out “a comprehensive set of priorities across a wide range of economic, social and cultural areas and agreed to by all parties that are part of the Government”.
The fact Jacinda is having to host a ‘re-set’ speech after a mere 10 months is the destabilising thing here.
The new Government have been spooked by wall to wall right wing media criticism & are constantly reacting to the news cycle rather than setting it.
This was hollow with a wiff of desperation.
What exactly was announced?
- “Grow and share New Zealand’s prosperity more fairly”
- “Support thriving, sustainable regions”
- “Govern responsibly”
- “Transition to a clean, green carbon-neutral New Zealand”
- “Ensure everyone who is able to is earning, learning, caring or volunteering”
- “Support healthier, safer and more connected communities”
- “Ensure everyone has a warm, dry home”
- “Make New Zealand the best place in the world to be a child”
- “Deliver open, transformative and compassionate government”
- “Build closer partnerships with Māori”
- “Value who we are as a country”
- “Create an international reputation we can be proud of”
None of this means anything. Instead of shaking off the media narrative, the new Government have reacted to it and looked pretty shallow in response.
Remember how John Key would never buy into the media narrative, he’d look straight down the barrel of the camera and lie through his fucking teeth, even when he was busted on mass surveillance lies and collaborating with the SIS to falsely smear the Leader of the Opposition months before an election and the entire Dirty Politics scandal, he glided over that and never responded and Kiwi’s loved being lied to with confidence, Key never allowed the media to define him or his Leadership.
Here we have the new government chasing its tail rather than it wagging the dog.
What the new government needed to do was have this at the actual one year mark and sell their achievements and set new targets while putting out their head kickers into the media to push back on the false narrative.
Winston, Willie Jackson and the very excellent Michael Wood are brilliant at this kind of push back, having Jacinda rush to do this at the 10 month mark however just looks desperate.
10 moths in, this is still a Government who don’t seem to know how to play the game of power, they have about 12months to figure it out if they want to win 2020.