NZDF inquiry: Justice for survivors, accountability to the UN – Amnesty International

By   /   April 13, 2018  /   4 Comments

In response to the Government’s announcement of an inquiry into the allegations made in the book “Hit and Run”, the acting Executive Director of Amnesty International New Zealand, Meg de Ronde, said, “Last year we called for an independent inquiry into New Zealand’s potential responsibility for war crimes, so this is welcome news.
 
“Finding out exactly what happened during that raid is a crucial first step to justice for any possible victims or survivors,” said de Ronde.
 
Last year, the UN Committee Against Torture (UNCAT) asked the New Zealand Government to report on what measures it has put in place in order to fully investigate the allegations relating to Operation Burnham in Afghanistan in 2010. As part of the seventh periodic report of New Zealand in May 2019, the New Zealand Government will undergo examination by the Committee in Geneva.
 
Question 27 reads, “Please indicate what measures the State party has put in place to ensure that all allegations relating to “Operation Burnham” – a raid of two villages in the Baghlan province in Afghanistan by the New Zealand Defence Forces on 22 August 2010 – will be fully investigated and addressed.”
 
De Ronde said, “This is far more than a domestic disagreement on what constitutes a proper inquiry. It’s about New Zealand’s reputation on the world stage and our responsibilities as a member of the United Nations.
 
“Clearly, the NZDF investigating itself isn’t good enough – this is a matter of potential war crimes committed in our name. So it’s encouraging that when our government fronts up in Geneva next year, there is more likely to be faith in our response.” 
***
Want to support this work? Donate today
***
Follow us on Twitter & Facebook
***

4 Comments

  1. CLEANGREEN says:

    Good call here;

    But the UN is just a bunch of hangmen just following the narratives of the hawkish US/EU/ NATO ‘warmongering’ clique; – to find someone else to blame.

    Just as we are seeing now with Russia Russia Russia, so hope is slim that these so called “peace worshipers” are not just a front to the Elitists global ‘One World Government’ we fear.

  2. Jack Ramaka says:

    Doubt whether they will find anything in this Enquiry, the results will be predetermined, this is just a smokescreen ?

  3. WILD KATIPO says:

    “Clearly, the NZDF investigating itself isn’t good enough – this is a matter of potential war crimes committed in our name. So it’s encouraging that when our government fronts up in Geneva next year, there is more likely to be faith in our response.” ….

    Hell’s teeth !, – this bit in particular ;

    ——————————-

    … “Clearly, the NZDF investigating itself isn’t good enough ” …

    ——————————-

    Must surely be the understatement of the year !

    And just because this wasn’t the Bosnian war , it was a war and the war was in Afghanistan.

    And just because Key wasn’t Milosevic , he was still responsible for signing off on butchery !

    And along with Key there were several other ‘ prominent’s ‘ involved. Such as our former Governor General Jerry Mateparae, Lt Gen Keating , and even Wayne Mapp who knows a bit more than hes letting on.

    It is amazing that it hasn’t been brought before the International Criminal Court , – which , by the way, – only takes a relatively small number to register their complaints before it sets in motion charges and goes before the court. And , furthermore – those concerned can be convicted by proxy in their absence regardless.

    I would suggest the only reason why it hasn’t is because we are part of the Western 5 eyes network. I would also suggest this was the reason Key left his role as PM and was given a ‘ Knighthood’.

    • CLEANGREEN says:

      1000% bang on WK;

      With your logic; – it is always questionable when a “mass of big names lines up to make a clean account of what happened” is a very ‘suspect’ motive here.