BREAKING: Defence Force admits SAS Afghan raid WAS in the same location as events in Hit and Run

By   /   March 13, 2018  /   8 Comments

TDB recommends Voyager - Unlimited internet @home as fast as you can get

When the book Hit and Run was published in March last year, the Chief of Defence Force Tim Keating held a press conference claiming that the book had nothing to do with the New Zealand SAS because the SAS had been in a different place on that date.

The New Zealand Defence Force has admitted that the photographs of an Afghan village shown in the book Hit and Run – the site where six civilians were killed and 15 civilians seriously injured during an NZSAS raid – are indeed the same place where the SAS conducted a raid that night.

When the book Hit and Run was published in March last year, the Chief of Defence Force Tim Keating held a press conference claiming that the book had nothing to do with the New Zealand SAS because the SAS had been in a different place on that date.

In response to questions from reporters, Keating said:

It’s irrefutable that we operated in a different area to the claims of the book” and

it’s not on an operation the NZSAS conducted.”

Understandably, the public and the journalists were left confused about who was telling the truth.

Now, a year later, the Ombudsman has ordered the Defence Force to release more information, including on the subject of whether the photos in the book were the same location where the NZSAS was operating that night (22 August 2010). The Defence Force has finally admitted that the “three photographs in the book are of Tirgiran Village”, the NZDF’s name for the place where the SAS conducted the raid.

Hit and Run co-author Nicky Hager said the Chief of Defence Force Tim Keating had tried to divert attention away from the issue of civilian casualties by claiming the book was not about a raid the SAS had conducted.

“It was simply a diversion. This seems extremely unprofessional behaviour from a senior military officer,” Mr Hager said. “I believe that the impulse to hide the NZDF’s mistakes led the Chief of Defence Force knowingly to mislead the media and the public.”

The NZDF had jumped on an error in two of the book’s illustrations, which marked the location of the raid incorrectly in the roadless mountains. But the rest of the book – the text, the photos and the lists of casualties – was correct. Mr Hager publicly acknowledged the map error and a new edition of the book was published soon after with the illustration errors corrected. But the Defence Force continued to use the map error to say that the whole book was wrong.

The Defence Force released the new information in response to Official Information Act requests by Mr Hager and four others which have been investigated for months by the Ombudsman’s office. Apart from the admission about the photos, very little new information has been provided by the Defence Force. Instead the Defence Force “information pack” presents its alternative version of what happened in Operation Burnham, largely unsupported by any documentation: http://www.nzdf.mil.nz/downloads/pdf/public-docs/2018/op_b_information_pack_v2b.pdf

***
Want to support this work? Donate today
***
Follow us on Twitter & Facebook
***

8 Comments

  1. Michelle says:

    Finally it is all coming out this is not what our SAS are for revenge missions so much for our integrity

  2. e-clectic says:

    Ron Mark needs to be asking for Keating’s resignation, now.

  3. mary_a says:

    Now this has come out, I expect some hard questions to be asked of Tim Keating, as well as the Minister of Defence at the time Wayne Mapp, including some heavy scrutiny of his boss PM John Key’s position in authorising the raid, as well as the cover up!

    Lying, deceitful murdering monsters!

    The cynic in me wonders now the truth behind this dreadful and unjustified event in Afghanistan has been exposed, is the reason the Labour Party camp issue is being kept alive by right wing Natz lackeys msm, to take the heat of the former National government, its PM and ministers!

  4. WILD KATIPO says:

    “I believe that the impulse to hide the NZDF’s mistakes led the Chief of Defence Force knowingly to mislead the media and the public.”

    The understatement of the year.

    Well, Mr Mapp, Jerry Mateparae and our former illustrious leader John Key have got a few questions to answer, it seems.

    But that’s nothing new to the rest of us who accurately picked LIES had been told.

  5. Kim dandy says:

    Maybe it’s time for some justice for that little girl.