Why I have to boycott the Poppy this ANZAC Day

By   /   April 18, 2017  /   15 Comments

There’s nothing to commemorate when we hide our war crimes, because the very honour we seek to respect can not stand while we turn a blind eye. To stand at attention during the Dawn Service with this disgrace hanging over our armed services makes us hypocrites, and the men and women who have died in our conflicts deserve better than that.

I can’t in good conscience wear a Poppy this ANZAC Day.

It seems ugly and wrong to commemorate the ‘glorious dead’ in a year when our Government have been confronted by clear evidence that our military committed a war crime and that our Defence force attempted to cover up that war crime.

The response by Bill English and the National Government to this evidence is to attack the Journalists involved and deny it has happened.

They have shut down any possible inquiry into this event and are protecting America’s use of Apache Attack Helicopters.

I can’t wear a Poppy when 21 innocent people were wounded and killed in a revenge attack that went wrong.

I can’t wear a Poppy when this young child lost their life and we refuse to investigate it.

There’s nothing to commemorate when we hide our war crimes, because the very honour we seek to respect can not stand while we turn a blind eye. To stand at attention during the Dawn Service with this disgrace hanging over our armed services makes us hypocrites, and the men and women who have died in our conflicts deserve better than that.

1. Siobhan says:

With no particular disrespect to those that served, this year I will wear a little white feather in honour of our Conscientious Objectors…and Parihaka.

2. Dave says:

I really hope one day that Martyn that yo get a sense of reality.

• CLEANGREEN says:

Shit Dave you need to get some backbone as you are so spineless.

We need to have a conscience don’t you have one?????

I will feel soiled at our memorial gathering at our cenotaph this year ful knowing the dirt was swept under that carpet!!!

Just to clear this immoral Government of yet more wrong doing.

• Michal says:

Dave have you read the book. Before making inane comments please do so. It is full of the truth, the truth that English is too frightened during election year to actually expose. If there were anything incorrect in it you can be sure that the defence force would have said so. But then I expect they are so busy trying to find out who spilt the beans.

3. Helena says:

All wars have been and are crimes.
    Wars have only ever been about money, power and control, exception Middle East where “alien” technology is being fought over (but MSM doesn’t tell us about that.) People are and have been brainwashed for centuries into believing that wars have been/are about “liberating” the oppressed. When we learn to say No Thanks there wouldn’t be a war. Jeez … what would the bankers and their Military Industrial Complex corporations do then?

4. GregJ says:

No one will notice your protest as plenty of people don’t buy Red poppies.

I would suggest you buy both a Red Poppy (that supports the RSA) and a White Poppy (that supports Peace Scholarships) and attend services. Carry out a silent protest, hold up a simple sign eg. “NZ soldiers & Afghan civilians deserve better. Hold an enquiry now!” or something similar. Get some friends along to support, be respectful but exercise your right to protest.

Otherwise it’s just token, meaningless symbolism.

• Carry out a silent protest, hold up a simple sign eg. “NZ soldiers & Afghan civilians deserve better. Hold an enquiry now!”

Good idea Greg. After all, it is said that our soldiers died so we can live in freedom.

But try holding up a placard like that at an ANZAC Day service and guess what the response will be.

• Sam Sam says:

The new breed of RSL/RSA managers are complete wankers. Its likes some one at the top said ask every one if they are seving members. A couple of our local clubs have carfully cultivated a voluntary workforce to out on a breakfast and rum & coffee. Even I was asked for ID by a young upstart thats taken over managment of the local RSL this morning.

These young people now have no idea what ANZAC is with what they have experienced. They can barley say whatbthey had for breakfast let alone share WW1 stories.

All the cool stories. Pretty soon ANZAC will be looked at like how we look at old 80’s pepsi ads after they were considered contreversial and edgy.

5. G.A.P. says:

100% Frank, being the son of a returned serviceman, ww two, i have always been aware that, while fully appreciating what my parents lived through, breaking away from the pack (group think) has never been an accepted part of the plan. Ironic really when VC winners etc. usually win their awards by doing exactly that?

6. Straight up says:

You sir are a disgrace. You seek to make political points on a day that celebrates the sacrifice made by others, for you. This day is about them, and their sacrifice, not your attempt to push an agenda

• “Straight Up” – thank you for proving my point I made above (April 25 2017, 10:38 am post):

“It appears that the “freedom” our soldiers died for is the variety that demands we fall in line and observe the Services as dictated. Dissent is not considered part of that “freedom”.”

• Lulu says:

I’m with Straight Up. I attended the ANZAC Day dawn service. If I had seen your sign I would have said take that away and you are free to bring it back at some time when we are not honouring those that gave their lives right or wrong. No one is “demanding you fall in line and observe the Services as dictated”. You are a disgrace and that is rubbish.

• So, your vision of the “freedom” that our soldiers died for is that I keep out of sight and not return until people like you have departed? You are indeed demanding that I “fall in line and observe the Services as dictated” – that is precisely what you have said; “I would have said take that away and you are free to bring it back at some time when we are not honouring those that gave their lives “.

Is that the “freedom” our soldiers perished for? That you have the right to take away a sign I might be holding?

Well, once again, “Lulu”, thank you for proving my point.