I’ve been following the IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change) reports since they started started in the 1990s and what has become apparent over that period of time is how quickly the worst case scenarios in terms of catastrophic climate change are quickly becoming the only scenarios.
Every year we are blasting records for extreme weather and the speed and intensity of those extreme weather events are openly exacerbated by the pollution we have pumped into the atmosphere since the Industrial Revolution.
Short of creating AI, I don’t believe we are capable of creating technology that will do anything other than adapt us to climate change rather than prevent it or stop it.
The current pandemic is a symptom of the climate crisis!
Indeed I believe we are at the edge of tipping points that once crossed can’t be reversed…
From the thin ice shield covering most of the Arctic Ocean to the mile-thick mantle of the polar ice sheets, ice losses have soared from about 760 billion tons per year in the 1990s to more than 1.2 trillion tons per year in the 2010s, a new study released Monday shows. That is an increase of more than 60 percent, equating to 28 trillion tons of melted ice in total — and it means that roughly 3 percent of all the extra energy trapped within Earth’s system by climate change has gone toward turning ice into water.
“That’s like more than 10,000 ‘Back to the Future’ lightning strikes per second of energy melting ice around-the-clock since 1994,” said William Colgan, an ice-sheet expert at the Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland. “That is just a bonkers amount of energy.”
…I think there will be some places on earth that simply become uninhabitable thanks to the extreme heat, massive storm surges, drought, forest fires, rising waters…
As the world turned its eyes to a dire pandemic, another global catastrophe was not-so-quietly gaining steam: Climate change has been simmering since the Industrial Revolution, but 2020 was a year that really drove home how fast it’s accelerating. We blazed past ominous milestones that were supposed to take decades to arrive, broke records every month, and watched the frozen North melt even faster than anticipated. From record wildfires to a bumper crop of hurricanes to melting poles, here are some of the biggest signs in 2020 that climate change is speeding up.
…The tipping points of mass methane release from the warming oceans or permafrost and the tipping point of fresh water from Greenland Glaciers disrupting the Oceanic currents, plunging the Northern Hemisphere into an Ice Age over the space of a decade are all upon us…
- Tipping points could fundamentally disrupt the planet and produce abrupt change in the climate.
- A mass methane release could put us on an irreversible path to full land-ice melt, causing sea levels to rise by up to 30 metres.
- We must take immediate action to reduce global warming and build resilience with these tipping points in mind.
…these things are happening. Extreme climate change is here. Pretending anything we can do now will change the climate crisis seems insane, instead we should see this as the urgent moment to force radical adaptation to our country, especially because New Zealand will become a lifeboat and Ark as the planet burns.
The current political spectrum in New Zealand can not radically adapt fast enough to adopt the changes we must make if we are to survive the climate crisis. It will require a radical Political Movement that elects a Party to implement Fortress Aotearoa…
- Move away from intensive farming and look to become domestically self sustainable in terms of food.
- Immediately ban all water exports
- 5 year Parliamentary term.
- Upper and Lower House (Upper House 50-50 split between Māori & Pakeha that can hold up legislation if unhappy about Treaty issues)
- Massive investment into R&D from Government with the understanding research is to benefit NZ first before sold offshore.
- Large scale increase in Navy, Army & Airforce.
- Mass limiting of tourism numbers with increased tourist taxes.
- Only citizens can vote.
- Sustainable immigration and an end to exploitative migrant workers.
- Resettlement Programms for all pacific island neighbours.
- Increase refugee in take to 10 000 per year
- Fully funded public services.
- Mass Green housing rebuild.
- 100% renewable energy for entire country.
- Massive tree planting across previous farming land.
- Wholesale re-write of state services act to end commercial values.
- Investment into basic pharmaceutical production.
- Financial transaction tax
- Wealth tax
- Multinational tax
- Inheritance tax
On a rapidly warming planet, NZ will increasingly be the life boat for Earth and the tyranny of our distance will become our blessing.
As the climate crisis unfolds more and more people in fury will turn against the current political system too wedded to the economic profits margins of the polluters. It is just a matter of time before the NZ electorate rejects the limitations of the current political spectrum.
The only thing that makes the Carbon Zero Act ‘historic’ is the future generations who will look back in spite & anger that we thought this sophistry was a legitimate response to the climate crisis – if you think maybe acting in 30 years is a solution, you are the problem.
In 2023, for the first time in NZ history, Gen x + Gen Y + Millennials will be a larger voting block than the boomers.
2023 is our date for revolution comrades.
Increasingly having independent opinion in a mainstream media environment which mostly echo one another has become more important than ever, so if you value having an independent voice – please donate here.
If you can’t contribute but want to help, please always feel free to share our blogs on social media.