I believe in the science and the science tells us overwhelmingly that human made pollution since the industrial revolution is super heating our planet at a rate that has never been seen naturally.
I believe the science when it tells us that the speed and magnitude of the climate change poses an existential threat to us as a species…
The world’s people face “untold suffering due to the climate crisis” unless there are major transformations to global society, according to a stark warning from more than 11,000 scientists.
“We declare clearly and unequivocally that planet Earth is facing a climate emergency,” it states. “To secure a sustainable future, we must change how we live. [This] entails major transformations in the ways our global society functions and interacts with natural ecosystems.”
There is no time to lose, the scientists say: “The climate crisis has arrived and is accelerating faster than most scientists expected. It is more severe than anticipated, threatening natural ecosystems and the fate of humanity.”
…I believe that only radical action now that places the economy on a war footing can speed the adaptation required for us to survive what is coming and I believe that the current political spectrum is simply incapable of that magnitude of speed.
Here are tow pieces of evidence from last week that proves my point.
The first is Chloe Swarbricks use of ‘Ok Boomer’ as a put down in Parliament. Isn’t it jaw dropping that her making boomers feel slightly uncomfortable by pricking their narcissism and reminding them of their privilege received more global media attention than what she was actually saying, which was the desperate need to change because of the climate crisis.
Boomers hurt feels are more important than radical change to enable adaptation to the largest threat our species has faced.
The second piece of evidence that proves the climate crisis will doom us is the meaningless sophistry of the Carbon Zero Bill. The sanctimonious smug self congratulations those who have crowed what a game changer this meaningless bit of legislation really is are delusional if they think being carbon zero in 31 years is any type of solution.
The only people cheering this bullshit are Politicians so that they can pretend to be taking climate change seriously and middle class NGOs who send their Millennial reps to swanky overseas climate conferences.
Being Carbon Zero in 31 years and having the audacity to pretend that’s some type of win is proof positive that Fortress Aotearoa is an inevitability.
While the Politicians and middle class NGOs clap themselves on the back, the planet will continue to super heat…
…the impotence of the current political spectrum and its subservience to the existing corporate interests that profit from pollution and free market neoliberalism will become increasingly apparent to a frightened and angry electorate.
That’s when Fortress Aotearoa as a movement will gain traction.
The current political spectrum in New Zealand can not radically adapt fast enough to adopt the changes we must make if we are to survive the climate crisis. It will require a radical Political Movement that elects a Party to implement Fortress Aotearoa…
- Move away from intensive farming and look to become domestically self sustainable in terms of food.
- Immediately ban all water exports
- 5 year Parliamentary term.
- Upper and Lower House (Upper House 50-50 split between Māori & Pakeha that can hold up legislation if unhappy about Treaty issues)
- Massive investment into R&D from Government with the understanding research is to benefit NZ first before sold offshore.
- Large scale increase in Navy, Army & Airforce.
- Mass limiting of tourism numbers with increased tourist taxes.
- Only citizens can vote.
- Sustainable immigration and an end to exploitative migrant workers.
- Resettlement Programms for all pacific island neighbours.
- Increase refugee in take to 10 000 per year
- Fully funded public services.
- Mass Green housing rebuild.
- 100% renewable energy for entire country.
- Massive tree planting across previous farming land.
- Wholesale re-write of state services act to end commercial values.
- Investment into basic pharmaceutical production.
- Financial transaction tax
- Wealth tax
- Multinational tax
- Inheritance tax
On a rapidly warming planet, NZ will increasingly be the life boat for Earth and the tyranny of our distance will become our blessing.
As the climate crisis unfolds more and more people in fury will turn against the current political system too wedded to the economic profits margins of the polluters. It is just a matter of time before the NZ electorate rejects the limitations of the current political spectrum.
The only thing that makes the Carbon Zero Act ‘historic’ is the future generations who will look back in spite & anger that we thought this sophistry was a legitimate response to the climate crisis – if you think maybe acting in 31 years is a solution, you are the problem.