1. That the New Zealand wars fought between the British Crown and Maori were far more significant in shaping this country than the catastrophic blunder of Gallipoli.
2. That most Maori (aside from Ngati Porou) were hostile to fighting for the King of England in WWI after being stripped of their land a half century earlier by the same British Crown.
3. That government minister Maui Pomare faced a “whakapohane” (baring of the buttocks) by Waikato Maori when he encouraged them to join the war.
4. That many Waikato Maori were forcibly sent for training and several spent many months in Mt Eden prison for refusing conscription.
5. That Maungapohatu in the Urewera was invaded and Tuhoe leader Rua Kenana tried and imprisoned (the pretext was a charge of illegally supplying alcohol) for his outspoken opposition to Maori volunteering for WWI.
6. That WWI was a clash of empires with each side fighting on behalf of their own capitalist elites.
7. That 10% of the New Zealand population went to fight in WWI and invaded countries on the other side of the world that had never threatened this country.
8. The shameful fact New Zealand troops travelled the greatest distance to fight a war in the entire history of human habitation on planet Earth.
9. That the young men killed in WWI were mainly working class soldiers who were the targets of crude and cynical imperialist propaganda.
10. That New Zealand’s first action after joining the war was to invade and occupy Samoa – a German colony at that time.
11. That freedom of speech was heavily curtailed and people sent to prison for speaking against the war.
12. That the New Zealand Trade Union movement rightly called for the “conscription of capital before the conscription of men” (individual wealth should be given up before flesh and blood were taken)
13. That New Zealand conscripted troops but Australian didn’t.
14. That the bravest New Zealanders in 1915 were those conscientious objectors who took the tough road of pacifism – at great personal cost – when the road to war was the popular and easy option.
15. That New Zealand military leaders treated our conscientious objectors more harshly than any other country.
16. That we can be hugely proud of Archibald Baxter (read his book “We Will Not Cease”) and other New Zealand opponents of WWI who suffered terribly at the hands of colonial military sycophants trying to be more proudly British that Britain itself.
17. That in 2015 there are some unconscionable idiots in the New Zealand armed services such as Chief of Defence Force Lieutenant General Tim Keating who declared last week that New Zealand entered World War I to fight “a great evil” (sic)
18. That these same idiots are still feeding the same lies to young New Zealanders 100 years on.
19. That the current government has just sent New Zealand troops to another imperialist war which has nothing to do with this country but everything to do with supporting another empire – this time the US empire with its imperialist agenda.