As the reality of the enormity of climate change starts to dawn, people will be looking for ‘lifeboats’, NZ is one of these ‘lifeboats’…
Scientists have singled out New Zealand as a potential “ark” to reboot civilisation if a deadly pandemic swept the planet.
In a study just published in the international journal Risk Analysis , researchers found that New Zealand, along with Australia and Iceland, could serve as “lifeboats” to help humanity recover from a full-scale extinction event.
…while the focus here is on a pandemic, the same is true of NZ being a lifeboat for climate change.
The current political spectrum in New Zealand can not radically adapt fast enough to adopt the changes we must make if we are to survive the climate crisis. It will require a radical Political Movement that elects a Party to implement Fortress Aotearoa…
- Move away from intensive farming and look to become domestically self sustainable in terms of food.
- Immediately ban all water exports
- legalise cannabis & hemp
- 5 year Parliamentary term.
- Upper and Lower House (Upper House 50-50 split between Māori & Pakeha that can hold up legislation if unhappy about Treaty issues)
- Massive investment into R&D from Government with the understanding research is to benefit NZ first before sold offshore.
- Ministry of Works that builds state housing
- Large scale increase in Navy, Army & Airforce.
- Mass limiting of tourism numbers with increased tourist taxes.
- Only citizens can vote.
- Sustainable immigration and an end to exploitative migrant workers.
- Resettlement Programms for all pacific island neighbours.
- Increase refugee in take to 10000 per year
- Fully funded public services.
- Mass Green housing rebuild.
- 100% renewable energy for entire country.
- Massive tree planting across previous farming land.
- Wholesale re-write of state services act to end commercial values.
- Investment into basic pharmaceutical production.
- Financial transaction tax
- Wealth tax
- Multinational tax
- Inheritance tax
As the climate crisis unfolds more and more people in fury will turn against the current political system too wedded to the economic profits margins of the polluters. It is just a matter of time before the NZ electorate rejects the limitations of the current political spectrum.
Thanks to Labour’s ‘go hard, go early’ position, we have dodged the public health nightmare we see engulfing so many other nations around the planet.
Now comes the second wave of this tsunami, the economic armageddon.
I don’t think we appreciate just how enormous this economic crisis will be.
This pandemic has changed everything and on one level that’s great because the climate crisis was going to force those changes anyway, on the other hand we have no idea what to do next.
We are moving on from the immediate threat to life and now need vision to restart the economy with an eye to the ongoing reforms the climate crisis demands of us.
NZ could become the Plague Ark, a country free of the virus. Every single time in this stupid country we price ourselves cheaply. We sell milk powder cheaply, we sell trees cheaply, we sell immigration cheaply, for once we have something everyone wants – we are plague free – so why not price & protect that accordingly?
Change is coming whether we like it or not.
Increasingly having independent opinion in a mainstream media environment which mostly echo one another has become more important than ever, so if you value having an independent voice – please donate here.
If you can’t contribute but want to help, please always feel free to share our blogs on social media