The Mosque attack report is an extraordinary whitewash of State responsibility.
I can see why there’s a 30year secrecy clause if this pile of rubbish is all they can front with.
Where was the SIS, GCSB, NSG, CNSN, ODESC, SIB, CTCC, NICC, IAD, NRU & the NSPD?
How many acronyms does it take to catch a white supremacist terrorist?
These agencies, most of which you won’t recognise, form the Intelligence apparatus of NZ, they cost anywhere up to a $100million a year and their job is to keep us safe from the unimaginable.
Let’s also not forget they have mass surveillance powers now with the 5 Eyes hardware.
Where were they while this Australian white supremacist plotted this atrocity? How could he study key word White supremacy philosophy online and not ping on anyones radar? How could he have had multiple complaints from other members of his Gun club and that not be a red flag? The Muslim community itself was complaining directly to Police about a rise in street violence.
Why were they ignored?
The almost childish response of hate speech laws as a solution to a fundamental failure of the entire Intelligence Apparatus is intellectually puerile and the decision to include gender in that hate speech change has nothing whatsoever to do with the issue of terrorism!
There was clearly a failure with the gun licence process but the wider issue of how a $100million dollar a year agency tasked with keeping us safe missed this terrorist hasn’t been addressed in this report.
The Free Speech ‘solution’ Labour will take on is a self imploding woke culture war trap that will manage to only polarise the debate even further.
ACT is the only winner here.
The solutions beyond the hate speech law are all pretty underwhelming.
• Placing Minister Andrew Little in charge of co-ordinating the Government’s response to the report and implementation of its recommendations
This was a bureaucratic failure of the entire Intelligence Bureaucracy and Labour’s solution is more Bureaucracy?
• Establishing a Ministry for Ethnic Communities to support the work programme on social cohesion
Sure, but the Muslim Community had already complained about a serious rise in street violence, so how will a new Ministry fix that?
• Establishing a new agency within police called Te Raranga, The Weave which will respond to alleged hate crimes
Sure. That’s fine.
• Extending the Safer Communities Fund so communities at risk of hate crime can upgrade their security arrangements
• Creating and Ethnic Communities Graduate Programme in the public service
• Establishing a National Centre of Excellence to bring together academia, civil society and government to research radicalisation and violent extremism and social cohesion in New Zealand
• Amending the Terrorism Suppression Act to strengthen counter-terrorism legislation
Hmmm. What? What does that entail exactly?
• Creating an early intervention programme to develop wrap-around support for individuals who show early signs of radicalisation. This will be led by police
But none of that answers the core issue, how did our entire Intelligence services miss this and why?
Forcing through Religious and gender hate speech laws as a response to such a terminal cascade failure of security is too Nu Zilind for words.
This tragedy deserved more than virtue signalling.
Increasingly having independent opinion in a mainstream media environment which mostly echo one another has become more important than ever, so if you value having an independent voice – please donate here.
If you can’t contribute but want to help, please always feel free to share our blogs on social media.