A tornado-like waterspout has ripped through central Auckland’s waterfront, toppling at least one shipping container and wreaking havoc on yachts, ships and cars.
Vehicles were swept into the ocean and a yacht was struck by lightning as the storm left a trail of destruction on Monday night.
A shipping container toppled on to a car at Jellicoe Wharf near Tinley St, trapping the driver. They were tended to by emergency services and taken to hospital in a moderate condition.
The insane disconnect between the destructive weather we are seeing and the climate crisis is the truest expression of denial I think is possible.
This wild weather we are seeing with Tornados on the water front, roofs ripped from houses, freezing weather and mass lightening strikes is a grim glimpse at the kind of extreme weather that will increasingly become the norm because of global warming.
We need a vast increase in Civil Defence infrastructure and a boost to emergency services while re-engineering our urban landscapes to be able to with stand these new storm events, because it’s going to get much, much worse far faster than predicted…
The dominant greenhouse gases released into the Earth’s atmosphere reached record levels in 2018, and their global warming power is now 43% stronger than in 1990, according to a new report by the American Meteorological Society released Monday.
- 2018 was the fourth-warmest year on record. The three other warmest years were 2015, 2016 and 2017, with 2016 as the warmest year since records first began being kept in the mid-1800s.
- Sea levels rose to record levels for a seventh consecutive year.
- Glaciers continue to melt at a concerning rate for the 30th straight year.
…this is why the supposed ‘gains’ the Greens have managed to achieve in Government are so worthless, banning future gas and oil, single use plastic bags and being carbon neutral in 31 years is not aspirational nor is it a solution, it’s being handed an umbrella on the beach to protect from a tsunami!
Our current political spectrum can not respond fast enough to the radical cultural, economic and societal adaptation required to prepare us for the realities of the climate crisis, we need to be on a war footing, instead we are drunk on the couch chilling with Netflix.
My suggestion is Fortress Aotearoa…
- Move away from intensive farming and look to become domestically self sustainable in terms of food.
- Immediately ban all water exports
- 5 year Parliamentary term.
- Upper and Lower House (Upper House 50-50 split between Māori & Pakeha that can hold up legislation if unhappy about Treaty issues)
- Massive investment into R&D from Government with the understanding research is to benefit NZ first before sold offshore.
- Large scale increase in Navy, Army & Airforce.
- Mass limiting of tourism numbers with increased tourist taxes.
- Only citizens can vote.
- Sustainable immigration and an end to exploitative international student workers.
- Resettlement Programms for all pacific island neighbours.
- Increase refugee in take to 5000 per year
- Fully funded public services.
- Mass Green housing rebuild.
- 100% renewable energy for entire country.
- Massive tree planting across previous farming land.
- Wholesale re-write of state services act to end commercial values.
- Investment into basic pharmaceutical production.
- Financial transaction tax
- Wealth tax
- Multinational tax
- Inheritance tax
A hard rain is going to fall and when enough angry New Zealanders turn on the current political system too wedded to the big polluters to make the radical change needed, then there will be change.