After nine years of National, working people’s share of the economy has fallen.Right now, 40% of children living below the poverty line are from working families. And under National, everyone’s employment rights have been eroded in a ‘race to the bottom.’
It’s not right and it’s certainly not fair. I’ve spent my life fighting for working people – and what’s happening right now is unacceptable. In government, I will deliver a fairer deal for working people.
Today I announced a fresh new policy that backs fair pay and good conditions for working people and good employers.
- We’ll raise the minimum wage to $16.50 and increase it to two-thirds of the average wage as economic growth allows us to.
- We’ll replace National’s ‘fire at will’ law with fair trial periods that protect workers against unjustified dismissal.
- We’ll introduce Fair Pay Agreements that will allow working people and employers across industries to work out basic pay and conditions to stop the ‘race to the bottom.’
- We’ll ensure the Government is a good employer and promote the Living Wage by paying all core public sector workers the Living Wage.
- We’ll double the number of Labour Inspectors to ensure bad employers can’t exploit working people.
These sensible changes will raise wages, improve conditions and ensure everyone will share in our economic prosperity. This is about fairness, about halting the rise of inequality and ensuring a better quality of life for all New Zealanders.
It’s time to share our economic gains fairly, and for a fresh approach for working Kiwis.