The Daily Blog will live stream the alternative ANZAC Day commemorations on Tuesday.
Auckland Peace Action are hosting an alternative ANZAC Day service 11am from the Band Rotunda at the Auckland Domain.
TDB livestreams unique left progressive content the mainstream media ignore. If you can contribute to support this, please do so here.
This ANZAC day join together with people of different faiths as we unite over the hope for peace in our lifetime. Bring your family, friends and neighbours.
Meet at 11am at the Band Rotunda in the Auckland Domain for a gathering which will include speeches, music, singing and prayers. Bring a picnic to have afterwards … if the weather is good.
Just some of the speakers (in no particular order) who have confirmed so far:
- Dr Jenny Te Paa Daniel, formerly Chair of Global Anglican Peace and Justice Network, Trustee for National Centre for Peace and Conflict Studies, lay woman activist
- Rev George Armstrong, Veteran Anglican priest/activist
- Imam Shafiq ur Rehman, Ahmadiyya Muslim Jama’at New Zealand
- Judith Wishart, Auckland Religious Society Of Friends Quakers
- Wojtek Krzyzosiak, Auckland Peace Action
- Te Ao Pritchard & Sina Brown-Davis, Pacific Panther Network
- Keith Locke, Member of the Peace and Conflict Studies Centre Trust and former Green MP
- Marama Davidson, Peace Activist and Green MP (Ngāpuhi/Te Rarawa/Ngāti Porou)
- Dr Huhana Hickey & Sophie Tauhara, Social Justice Activists and Community Leaders
Jenny Lange, Peter Lange and Dr Grant Hewison
The nation is gearing up for ANZAC day, during which we solemnly remember the victims of the catastrophic wars that have swept our globe during the 20th and 21st centuries. Or, as the case may be, celebrate those who died in these imperialist conflict as heroes who fought for our freedom, conveniently spinning a narrative calculated to ensure maximum support for the wars our countries are currently fighting. Sadly, the second of these is usually the one that ensues. This shall not pass unopposed.