The new Ministry for Vulnerable Children (MVC) is being launched today but is it at all different to the former organisation that is Child, Youth and Family Services (CYFS)?
Within this Document is both a large number of “vacancies” as well as a large number of “acting” roles. Showing how quickly and haphazardly the new department has been organised, however what is more concerning is those who were in the old structure, are a part of the ‘new and improved’ structure.
For example the current head Social Worker (SW) of the Lower Hutt Branch will be the current head of the ‘new and improved’ MVC Lower Hutt.
In my opinion, this Social Worker has a history of not informing conflict of interests, downplaying sexual assaults, hiding information from courts and local school boards of which she sits on.
And now this person is a part of the new and improved MVC?
Are we honestly going to see any changes to the poor behaviour at CYF Lower Hutt, or the new MVC?
So the allegations;
● This Social Worker was both chief SW of the Lower Hutt Branch and also sat on the Hutt Valley High School Board at the time of sexual assaults in 2007.
● This Social Worker downplayed the sexual assaults on boys in 2007 at Hutt Valley High School and did not declare a ‘conflict of interest’ at the time of the investigation.
● This Social Worker might have perjured herself in a court of law during the investigations of 2007 and subsequent investigations involving ‘Vulnerable Children’ and their parents.
● That an independent report undertaken by the Office of the Ombudsman into the handling of the serious Hutt Valley High incident found this Social Workers word was given “undue weight”.
● This same social worker was slammed by a Judge in 2016 for her ‘misleading information’.
This article states that “The Ombudsman’s report says that despite identifying the offending children, Hutt Valley High School did not alert victims’ parents, police or Child, Youth and Family. It instead chose to stand down the culprits for a few days. Which is odd considering this Social Worker was the head SW of the Lower Hutt CYFS office at the time.
For whatever reasons, matters of sexual assault were not brought to the board of trustees of both Hutt Valley High School and Lower Hutt CYFS office even though this Social Worker, now head of the MVC Lower Hutt branch, knew about them.
It certainly makes one wonder why not?
“Ombudsman David McGee found that one by one, the victims were hunted down and violated with objects including a drill bit, scissors, a craft knife, a plank of wood, a shoe, a cellphone and a screwdriver. According to police reports, victims screamed in pain during the attacks. One endured up to 10 such assaults. Another was kicked in the face when he refused to kiss his attackers’ shoes after they had sexually violated him.”
However further inside information tells me there will be new Lower Hutt CYFS (soon to be MVC) allegations of,
● Misleading information puting a three-year-old girl at risk with its unsubstantiated and unverified reports from yet again the Lower Hutt CYFS office.
● Burying a positive drug test leaving the child at risk while Lower Hutt CYFS then went on to write reports questioning the father’s mental health because he was raising concerns about the mother’s drug use.
● It is also alleged that the Father was threatened with supervised access if he raised any more concerns about the safety of his child.
I also recognise a number of fellow social workers names on the list who are good people and I will be expecting transparency from them. However, we will continue investigating lazy and vindictive CYFS workers who remain on the list.
Karl Pearce BSW (Hons.). has been a political commentator and activist in and around Papaioea Palmerston North, New Zealand for 15 years with the last 8 in both student and community radio. Karl currently produces and hosts his show ‘On Point w/ Karl Pearce’ on Access Manawatu which is a political, current affairs radio show. Karl is academically published and intermittently blogs. If you want to know more about Karl you can find him at www.Karl.Kiwi.nz