There are 8 topics that you simply can not talk about in the NZ mainstream corporate media because if you do, you suddenly get blacklisted as a commentator. Those 8 topics are…
- The 30 year neoliberal experiment in NZ and its damage to our society
- Our appallingly high suicide rate and why it’s really happening
- Child Poverty and the Governments obligation to solve it
- Real Climate Change and its impact on our weather right now
- How racist our prison system and judiciary really are
- The power of the dairy interests over our water and environment policy (although Rachel Stewart bless her battles the pricks)
- Real abortion rights for women
- And Israel. You can not talk about Israel and its brutal occupation of Israel
…the self censorship on those issues by the corporate mainstream media means we can not as a society grow.
I did a show on Israel for Waatea 5th Estate this year and we immediately had a complaint to the Broadcasting Standards Authority that we were un fair to Israel so part of this self censorship is simple cowardice on part of the corporate mainstream media. They are there to sell adverts pretending that there is endless growth for consumerism, they are not there to frighten that audience off with controversial issues.
But even by the corporate mainstream media’s normal self censorship standards, the utter silence over Israel threatening us that our support for the UN resolution against them would amount to a ‘declaration of war’ is fucking unbelievable.
I appreciate the graduate student C team is wheeled into staff the news room over the Christmas period, hence their breathless updates on the bloody holiday road toll, but surely someone in charge has to appreciate the magnitude and enormity of Israel’s language and threats toward us?
If Netanyahu has honestly threatened that our vote against them in the UN is a declaration of war, we should immediately demand they remove their embassy from our shores!
We are New Zealand, we don’t put up with threats of war from anyone. The mainstream media’s silence on this is only further proof of how completely redundant their role has become. They are merely a clickbait farm and it highlights what the term ‘fake news’ should really means.
‘Fake News’ isn’t a lie that is spread on social media pretending to be news, that’s just propaganda and manipulation. The real ‘fake news’ is the bullshit nothings that the corporate mainstream media push into their lead positions to avoid real debate.
A country threatening us that our righteous actions against them amount to a declaration of war should lead every single fucking news report and bulletin. It doesn’t.
It’s time we got a new media.