At the Moment of Truth, Julian Assange, Glenn Greenwald and Edward Snowden prooved conclusively that our Prime Minister was lying to us about mass surveillance.
They showed that our security agencies were tapping the civil internet cable that provides us with our international connection, that the NSA had a presence at the Waihopai Spy base and that our GCSB went to the NSA and told them that John Key’s legislation allowed a loophole that let the NSA to conduct mass surveillance.
The people of Aotearoa arose as one and cried “Meh”.
This was their response.
In John Key we trust (to the point of slavish devotion).
The irony of the ‘If-you-have-nothing-to-hide-you-have-nothing-to-fear’ Brigade is that if it was Helen Clark who was ramming mass surveillance spying powers through under urgency and giving the SIS extra powers after helping collude with them to stop John Key getting elected, they would make Trump supporters look moderate.
Kiwi’s trust in our anti-intellectual and laid back Prime Minister is so bewilderingly total that the powers of a Police State can get passed just because they like him.
Here’s the twist though, what happens when someone you don’t like suddenly gets those powers?
Now Donald Trump is the President-elect of America, how comfortable are we with a megalomaniac crypto-fascist having the power of the Eye of Mordor? We wouldn’t him or his circus freak show of a Cabinet to have that level of power over our communications would we?
Key is a laid back rich arsehole who has managed to con most NZers because most NZers threshold for running the country is turning up with beers for the BBQ, Trump on the other hand is a rogue fascist whose temperament is closer to a meth addict than leader of the free world.
- Key gave the Police vast new retrospective surveillance powers
- Key rammed through legislation under urgency allowing the State to force civil telecommunication companies to build backdoors to their networks and not tell their companies that the State had breached their privacy.
- Key rammed through legislation under urgency allowing the State to spy on NZers
- The GCSB went from $80m to $140m in budget per year
- The SIS were ‘rewarded’ with a huge increase in powers and budget.
- The SIS colluded with John Key’s Office to falsely smear the Leader of the Opposition Phil Goff months before the 2011 election.
- Warranties spying
And now Key wants to give these security agencies even more powers while Trump is in charge that will allow…
- The GCSB and SIS to break any law.
- Allow the GCSB and SIS to give immunity to any other State Agency they deputise.
- Empower the GCSB to move from being simply technical support to running their own investigations.
- Imprison anyone who reveals illegal Government spying to the Public.
…and these powers are being considered while there is an investigation under way that..
- Our Spies helped the CIA torture prisoners
- Questions over whether or not the spy agencies have embarked upon another illegal mass spying of NZers
- Why the GCSB spied for Tim Groser to get a job.
…so in short, we have a huge recent history of lies and denial to gain mass surveillance powers over the people of NZ, powers that they have already abused and are currently under investigation for abusing while an orange Nazi gains total oversight.
Are you feeling safe yet?