We have known for some time that John Key has not been truthful to NZers about the true involvement of SAS forces in Iraq.
The pretence has been we are training/guarding trainers. Protecting trainers and training people sounds nice to middle NZ. The reality however is far more grim
It’s apparently a pack of lies…
Defence Minister Gerry Brownlee has denied claims in international media that New Zealand special forces are calling in airstrikes in northern Iraq, “or involved in any other combat operations” in the country.
The Guardian is reporting: “British, Australian and New Zealand SAS are all active in northern Iraq, along with US forces, where they have been calling in airstrikes to support both Kurdish and Iraqi advances. Their role at the front line has not been well documented, however.”
However a spokesperson for Brownlee released a statement saying: “I am not going to discuss operational details, however it is incorrect to say we have SAS calling in air strikes, or involved in any other combat operations in Iraq.
“As the Prime Minister has said publicly the Government has ruled out sending SAS, or any troops into combat roles in Iraq.
“We have also been clear that special forces could be deployed for short periods – for example, to provide advice on issues like force protection or to help with high profile visits, as they have many time before.”
…that loophole allows anything and of course this has been released while it’s a Friday before a long weekend so absolutely no one is going to be even remotely aware that NZ SAS are helping guide in air strikes. So have we been involved in any of the air strikes that have killed civilians?
Are our troops committing war crimes?
Who are we hitting?
Why has the Government lied?
Why is this being released on a bloody Friday before Labour weekend?
Is there a sick juxtaposition between NZers basking at the bach on the beach feeling good in the Sun and our country secretly bombing people in a war we aren’t even informed of.
The term Sleepy Hobbits just doesn’t even begin to actually cover what we’ve become. Comatose Hobbits seems far closer to the actual truth.
Earlier this year, I asked award winning journalist Jon Stephenson on Waatea 5th Estate if our soldiers were involved in targeting for air and drone strikes and he said based on the level of deception in Afghanistan yes we were.
It’s not the first time the NZDF and the Government have manipulated our media – there is an incredibly long history of them doing this in NZ!
This is beyond a joke.
We need a new media folks. We were talking about this 6 months ago. The Daily Blog is a amateur blogger site, and I say amateur because we barely cover the costs and time we sink into this site to critique the mainstream media.
We need to be fully funded, so this is my decision and plan for you all to think about over Labour Weekend. I am keen to talk to any of our readers about setting up an online crowd funding venture to take TDB to the next level so that in 2017 we actually have a media outlet that is challenging this current level of pro Government propaganda.
If you are interested, contact me on our contact links (they have been rest so you can use them far easier). I can’t believe that we are only getting this into the mainstream now, we can’t rely on a media who think Paul Holmes flirting with an Actress from Sex in the City is anything other than grotesque.
We have the highest suicide rates, 1 in every 100 NZers is homeless, there is a housing crisis and inequality is growing. The Canary in the UK has managed to step up – we need to as well. With the Newspaper monopoly coming, it’s only going to get worse.
Have a great Labour Weekend – but if this touches a nerve, contact us and let’s work to build something else.