With Labour’s 100th Birthday and with National stumbling so badly, the mainstream media pundits are lining up a new narrative. The old narrative was ‘National are so successful because they are so moderate’. It’s called the Raymond Miller Fallacy. Wealthy mainstream media pundits who aren’t on the receiving end of National’s draconian welfare reforms bleat National are ‘moderate’ because their own existence is so comfortable.
With images of Kiwis living in cars, with stats showing inequality rising, with a housing crisis that’s ready to burst, that line that National are moderate is farcical.
So the mainstream media need a new narrative, and over the last few weeks they’ve been road testing that narrative.
The new narrative is ‘John Key will win the election because the Opposition are hopeless. Andrew Little doesn’t have the charisma and the Opposition get no cut through’. Blah. Blah. Blah.
What this new narrative that the mainstream media are trying to run with now misses, is that the mainstream media, instead of being a watch dog of the Fourth Estate, has been a neutered lap dog of this Government for 8 bloody years.
Shall we count the ways? Because the ability of the mainstream media to avoid their own bias and their own role in the enabling of John Key is utterly forgotten when they attack the Opposition for not being ready enough for Government.
- Remember how John Armstrong, the Political Editor of the NZ Herald called on David Cunliffe to resign over a $100 000 bottle of wine that never existed?
- Remember how Patrick Gower claimed David Cunliffe was starting a coup when David Cunliffe wasn’t starting a coup?
- Remember how every single main stream media outlet in NZ had deep, deep, deep, deep, deep ties with far right hate speech merchant Cameron Slater?
- Remember how every single mains stream media outlet enabled the kid of filthy dirty politics that Slater used?
- Remember how hard right fanatics like Mike Hosking and Paul Henry now dominate the entire broadcasting spectrum?
- Remember how Campbell Live was killed off for political reasons?
- Remember how Kim Dotcom was described by the NZ Herald as using ‘Nazi chants’?
- Remember the day MANA announced free education and guaranteed work for every NZer and the only thing the entire media focused on was Pam Corkery yelling at the media?
- Remember when the NZ Herald used Rachel Clucina who was pretending to be a PR person to smear Amanda Bailey in their article?
- Remember how Mike Hosking was allowed to slag Amanda Bailey off for being brave enough to stand up against the PM for touching her?
- Remember how the NZ Herald wrote more abusive editorials about Hone Harawira than any other politician?
- Remember how Patrick Gower went on and on and on and on and on and on about how the MANA-Internet Party deal was corrupt, yet ACT had used the exact same coat tailing tactic ever since MMP had been created?
- Remember how the Moment of Truth highlighted Key lying about mass surveillance but every media outlet ignored that?
What would happen if the media had done its job from day one and highlighted how the Government’s welfare reforms would lead to the clusterfuck of inequality we have now?
Nicky Hager did more journalism in one book than the entire bloody mainstream media have managed in 8 years!
The mainstream media’s 8 year love fest with Key is why his poll ratings are sky high. Ignoring their own biased role in keeping Key in power to then blame the Opposition for not looking ready is arrogance at its most deluded.