We already have the All Blacks corporate logo mooted as a possible flag, do we need to have 10 people connected to the All Blacks on the honours list as well?
The Honours list are for those who have defended the status quo and protected privilege so it’s no surprise right wing media and vicious bureaucrats who are engineering the destruction of the welfare state are being lauded.
We need a ‘People’s Honours’ list for those who have challenged the state – not those who have acted for the State.
TDB Honours list 2015
- Dame Susan Devoy for courage in the face of Islamaphobia.
- John Campbell for services to the people of Aotearoa
- Nicky Hager for services to true journalism
- Jane Kelsey for services to sovereignty
- CPAG for demanding social justice
- Lizzie Marvelly for fighting rape culture
- Rose Matafeo for services to feminism
- The Fan Brigade for services to feminism
- No Pride in Prisons for services to combat transphobia
- Marama Davidson for services to Maori
- Amanda Bailey for services against bullying
- Sonny Bill Williams for services to sport and enlightenment
- Helen Kelly for services to humanity, cannabis reform, worker rights and being an incredible human being
When privilege is entrenched, equality feels like prejudice. We need an honours list that reflects the real heroes not those who already have the power.