As TDB pointed out last month, July will see an incredibly important Court case (the second of these cases was to be the Jon Stephenson’s case against the NZDF – but that has been interestingly put off till the end of this year), Nicky Hager finally gets to challenge the Police decision to raid his home mere weeks after Cameron Slater complained about his emails being stolen.
Aside form the chilling fact that Slater had his complaint actioned in just over a month, Hager had evidence in his home for his next project on Police corruption – that it doesn’t seem to worry NZers that the Police are acting in this manner is as alarming as their shrugging off of the revelations in Dirty Politics.
In John we trust.
So far the Court case today is not looking good for the Police or the sleepy hobbits of Muddle Nu Zilind who have worked so hard to simply accept Key’s claim that Hager is a communist conspiracy theorist. If the Police have acted inappropriately to raid an investigative journalists home, sleepy hobbits might feel some panic at their dinner parties that NZ looks less like the egalitarian pretension we like to cheer and more like the Police States we jeer.
The truth is that Key has done more to attack and blunt media in NZ than any other PM since the waterfront lockout. Don’t believe me? Let’s count the ways…
John Key’s crimes against Journalism
- Killing off Public Broadcasting TV by shutting down TVNZ7 and having Minister’s lie about how many people watched the station.
- Raiding newspapers and broadcasters to stop them publishing the tea pot tapes.
- Defaming investigative journalist Jon Stephenson who questioned if NZs SAS had committed war crimes in Afghanistan by handing civilians over to known torture units.
- Defaming investigative Journalist Nicky Hager by calling him a communist conspiracy theorist when Hager opened up the Dirty Politics black ops team working within Key’s office.
- Calling award winning Journalist Glenn Greenwald and whistle blowers Julian Assange and Edward Snowden ‘Henchmen’ when they revealed the truth of Key’s mass surveillance plans.
- Having all of Andrea Vance’s emails and phone records taken.
- Bullying journalist Bradley Ambrose and raiding media broadcasters who had copies of the Epsom tea pot tape.
- Using far right hate speech merchant and Fascist Cameron Slater to smear public servants the Government didn’t like.
- Falsifying SIS information and working with the state spy service to smear Phil Goff in the media months before the 2011 election.
- Killing off Campbell Live for political reasons.
- Direct interference into Maori TV criticising Government.
- ‘Cyber bullying’ laws that make it illegal to criticise the Government online.
…the biggest threat to media in NZ is John Key, so the current case in Wellington where Nicky Hager is challenging the Police raiding his home is crucial.
A day in and the cops have already been caught out lying…
Police undertaking to Dirty Politics author Nicky Hager allegedly broken
Police broke their undertaking not to use information seized from the home of Dirty Politics author Nicky Hager, the investigative journalist’s lawyer claims.
Officers acting on a complaint from blogger Cameron Slater, whose hacked emails were the source of much of Dirty Politics, seized electronic and other material in the early October search of Hager’s Wellington home.
Hager wants the High Court to review the police decision to get a search warrant and conduct the search. He says his information should not have been seized because it was covered by journalistic privilege.
In the leadup to a hearing of Hager’s claim, his lawyers have continued to ask for copies of relevant police documents.
Some of the documents have been shown to Hager in an edited form. One that was first released in edited form was later shown in its entirety.
…in a normal democracy, an investigative Journalist who had caught the Prime Minister out by releasing all their abuses of political power only to be raided by the Police would be front page news. In the ovine Nation of Nu Zilind however we have Princess christenings and rugby game wins to distract attention.
It almost makes you wonder why Key is so hell bent on destroying the value of Journalism when mainstream media are doing it for him quite well on their own.