Now the MediaWorks management have killed off Campbell Live for political reasons and because they tired of his ‘crusades’ like child poverty, the Pike River Mine tragedy, mass surveillance lies, Christchurch rebuild and Novopay, ethical media consumers need fro boycott TV3.
This is sad because there are genuinely some amazing people and programmes of TV3 that I will sadly miss, there are also some I have no problem missing. Now we know this…
“We put news on, but only because it rates. And we sell advertising around news. This is what this is all about.”
…that was MediaWorks Chairman Rod McGeoch, explaining why MediaWorks has all the journalistic ethical standards of a porn web site. Seeing as this company has been given so much corporate welfare by Key’s Government (Steven Joyce previously owned MediaWorks) they have an obligation to us as citizens before their vulture fund stock holders. Seeing as they aren’t holding up their side of the bargain by being a fourth estate that holds the powerful to account, they don’t get my eyeballs ever again.
Things I will miss boycotting TV3
- Paula Penfold on 3rd Degree – easily one of the best investigative Journalists in NZ, her tenacity to fight for Teina Pora’s innocence is the sort of Journalism that requires courage and guts. She went up against an alpha male Police force that can never admit they are wrong and won.
- Mike McRoberts – Quite simply one of the best news reporters in NZ. He’s not just some wooden mouthpiece, he’s actually a journalist. If Mike says it, it’s true. A great man with real integrity.
- Hillary Barry – Best news reader in NZ. Her empathy, understanding and intelligence will be missed on my screens. Michael Laws terrible slagging off of her for showing real emotion when Campbell Live was announced as dead proves once and for all what a sad little arsehole Michael Laws really is.
- Jono and Ben – I was really enjoying their show, it’s actually very funny. Guy Williams and Rose Matafeo are two of the funniest comedians on NZ screens right now.
- David Farrier – I’m really sad I won’t even be able to see his new show as he’s one of the best new broadcasters this country has.
Things I won’t miss
- The Nation – Now we know that management are politically motivated towards the right and that news is just a ratings playground, The Nation is put in perspective as just a right wing echo chamber for MediaWorks bosses. I won’t lose sleep boycotting this.
- Patrick Gower – Watching a homicidal chipmunk on meth machine gun anything worthwhile and progressive and pretend it’s political journalism won’t cost me any sleep.
- Whatever they replace Campbell Live with – Words fail me to describe the contempt I will view whatever they replace Campbell Live with.
- The Paul Henry morning circle jerk session – It’s failing so badly in the ratings and that’s despite the mass promotion MediaWorks have given it.
Now I hasten to note that just because I won’t be watching TV3 any longer that this means I will be watching TVNZ. It doesn’t. I’ll be switching onto Maori TV first before I try anything else as their comedy shows are smarter, and Native Affairs is the last real current affairs show on TV.
If we want better than wall to wall right wing fanatics explaining why the poor deserve contempt we must impress upon the Opposition parties a real need for public broadcasting and we must become far more specific with the media we choose to consume.
Vote with your remote.