But now it’s Nicky Hager and Key has once again attacked Hager rather than the substance of what Hager is revealing.
Today Key went on the attack, giving “very strong advice” for New Zealanders not to believe Hager, whose Dirty Politics book was a major theme of the September election.
That book alleged that National used a strategy of making Key the friendly face of the government while using right-wing blogs, most notably Whale Oil, to attack opponents. It was based on correspondence hacked from Whale Oil blogger Cameron Slater’s computers.
Key claimed the material in Dirty Politics was wrong, and the same would be the case this time.
“Last time he came out with all this stuff, he was categorically wrong, he’ll be wrong this time as well, because information changes, we review things all the time, different actions are taken,” Key said this afternoon.
Slagging off Hager whose revelations in Dirty Politics have shown the PM’s Office working with the SIS to smear the Leader of the Opposition while senior MPs were feeding a far right hate speech blog to attack public servants and hatching manufactured hits have all been proven to be true.
Key is hoping that the sleepy hobbits are too busy with the Cricket World Cup to give a damn, and he’s probably right. If they rallied to his corruption and abuse of power during an election, they won’t give a toss when the Black Caps are playing.
Key has threatened and attacked journalists in this country so that he can get away with anything he likes. It’s a list that just gets longer and longer.
John Key’s crimes against Journalism
- Killing off Public Broadcasting TV by shutting down TVNZ7 and having Minister’s lie about how many people watched the station.
- Raiding newspapers and broadcasters to stop them publishing the tea pot tapes.
- Defaming investigative journalist Jon Stephenson who questioned if NZs SAS had committed war crimes in Afghanistan by handing civilians over to known torture units.
- Defaming investigative Journalist Nicky Hager by calling him a communist conspiracy theorist when Hager opened up the Dirty Politics black ops team working within Key’s office.
- Calling award winning Journalist Glenn Greenwald and whistle blowers Julian Assange and Edward Snowden ‘Henchmen’ when they revealed the truth of Key’s mass surveillance plans.
- Having all of Andrea Vance’s emails and phone records taken.
- Using far right hate speech merchant and Fascist Cameron Slater to smear public servants the Government didn’t like.
- Falsifying SIS information and working with the state spy service to smear Phil Goff in the media months before the 2011 election.