People outraged at the lack of justice in the so-called ‘Roast Busters’ case and 99% of other rape cases in this country are holding a visually powerful mass action at the Auckland High Court at 1 o’clock on Saturday.
They will demonstrate the woeful state of our rape statistics and charge the government, police, and courts to seriously address this problem.
People will line the streets and participate in a human pie chart to show how few rape survivors ever see justice upheld and participate in a live petition on the road. Everyone is welcome to come and invited to leave messages in chalk outside the court. Auckland Samba Band will be performing and light refreshments will be provided.
Rape is endemic and devastating in New Zealand; our culture effectively enables rape by not addressing it properly. Sexual assault is so common that it is a public health crisis. Survivors of rape struggle to find support and out of 100 rapes, 1 may lead to ‘accountability’ through our law/court process – a definition and a process which needs improvement.
As with the National Day of Action to Bust Rape Culture last year, people are demanding:
– Immediate reinstatement of the Law Commission review of trial and pre-trial processes in sexual assault cases
– Adequate/sustainable funding for rape crisis services to help surviviors whether or not they choose to report
– Better police processes and training to support survivors and pursue justice
– Educational programmes for prevention and awareness in public and in schools
– Implementation of recommendations by TOAH-NNest and Wellington Rape Crisis
The Facebook event is here
An event in Wellington is happening on the same day
Spread the word!