The Daily Blog Watch – 19/20 February 2014

0
0

Daily Blog Round Up Icon

Today’s Daily Blog Watch Round-Up of matters that have attracted the attention, assessments, and articulations of this country’s leading bloggers and on-line satirists…

NZ Left Blogosphere

Imperator Fish assures us, Harry Hindenberg: they haven’t got me. Yet.

I don’t pay too much attention to Law Society rules and regulations, because I’m a busy man and I don’t have time for all that bureaucracy. Ethics and standards are the sorts of things that sound nice in theory, but when you get busy they just slow down your work.

From Open Parachute, Truth about those science fairs – every parent will relate to this!

The Boar Soars on Porcupine Farm!

No Right Turn presents new and views from around the world and Aotearoa,

Today is (finally) a Member’s Day – the government having dragged out the opening debate on the Prime Minister’s statement to delay it. Unfortunately, it looks like a pretty boring one

The latest NSALeak: the NSA and its British proxy spied on people who visited wikileaks.org…

• No justice for electoral fraud

TDB Recommends NewzEngine.com

Last year, Labour candidate Daljit Singh was convicted of electoral fraud. His sentence? Five months’ community detention and 200 hours community service…

What happens if you get raped in Sudan? The police ignore your complaint, then charge you with adultery….

From Frogblog, Holly Walker writes that a  Student mag is a casualty of the VSM

When it was being forced through the House, the Green Party strongly opposed the VSM bill. We knew the damaging effect it would have on the student voice, including student media. It’s sad to see MASSIVE become a victim of this.

And Jan Logie asks if New Zealand is The Land of Plenty?

New Zealand has long been known as the Land of Plenty, and with good reason – the land and the sea provided many people with an abundant healthy diet; we were the first country in the world to achieve an 8 hour working day and we were considered the ‘social laboratory of the world’ with cradle to grave support for those who needed it.

But yesterday, Statistics NZ revealed that for half of all of us, New Zealand is the Land of Not Enough.

From Gordon Campbell on the next US ambassador to New Zealand, and True Detective

Years ago, I asked a former US ambassador how he managed to navigate his way around rural and provincial New Zealand. Pretty easily, he replied: “I just ask the person I’m meeting whether they have a KFC or a McDonalds in their town, and then I suggest that we meet up there.” Yes, the ambassador also commented, he did find it strange to see so many New Zealand kids wearing the caps and jackets of say, the Chicago Bulls or the Charlotte Hornets. “At times, it has made me wonder – if I really wanted to be the ambassador to Kansas City, maybe I should have just gone to Kansas City.”

From Fightback, Mainstream racism and white power groups

From Cafe Pacific‘Protect our reporters’ – radio interview on The Wire

REPORTERS all over the planet die to tell stories. From the Philippines where journalists were massacred in Maguindanao on the southern island of Mindanao in 2009, to Mexico where journalists families are targeted with threats of torture.

From The Dim Post,  Gut feeling update

So the big political story on TV3 news over the last few nights has about a bunch of reporters in TVNZ’s Maori and Pacific Unit acting as Labour Party activists. It’s a good story, and another indication of how comprehensively the TV3 political journalists are setting the news agenda and dominating political reporting.

Phillip on Whoar presents, “..Denmark bans halal and kosher slaughter – as minister says ‘animal rights come before religion’..”

“..Denmark’s government has brought in a ban on the religious slaughter of animals –

And,

New Zealand Parliament – List of questions for oral answer – Wednesday – 19 February 2014..

Plus, don’t forget to check out The Standard! Polity! The Transport  Blog! And Russell Brown on Public Address!

(Please note that this has been a greatly abbreviated Daily Blog Watch. Normal transmission will resume shortly, as soon as I pay the power bill…..)

.

Screw Up of The Year

Shane Taurima

*facepalm*

.

Thought for the Day

john key - lifestyle choice by beneficiaries2

.

~ Joe Blogger,

“The Daily Blog Watch” Editor, Imbiber of Fine Sugary Drinks,  & Moa-whisperer

.