“La Tortura No Es Cultura” – torture is not culture

By   /   June 7, 2016  /   7 Comments

“La tortura no es cultura” was the phrase used when Catalonia officially banned bullfighting in 2010.

Screen Shot 2016-06-07 at 4.11.56 pm

It translates to mean “torture is not culture” and it’s a moving phrase that has stuck in my mind over the last 10 years or so of animal advocacy I’ve seen. Bullfighting was arguably an integral part of the culture in Barcelona and an important source of income to the region. But Catalonia banned this blood sport anyway because hurting animals for entertainment like that is wrong. Even if it was a part of their culture they appraised the situation with mindful compassion and decided collectively that they didn’t wish to be associated with this vicious form of entertainment. As of yet there is no decision regarding rodeo in New Zealand so when I hear Nathan Guy saying rodeos are “important to New Zealand society” I feel like that would come as a shock to most of the people actually living here.

Most of us have never been to a rodeo or even seen this “sport” which was imported from the United States. They’re run by small cliques in rural areas and they cause a hell of a lot of animal suffering and it’s fair and right for the rest of us to tell them to cut it out. It’s correct for events such as this to be monitored, because when the echo chamber of locals gets to the point they fail to see the inherent cruelty in what they’re doing that’s about the exact point outside intervention is needed. The people running rodeos have decided that what they’re doing isn’t wrong and they want to keep doing it. But 63,000 people signed a petition to end this hobby racket because we don’t want to see calves, cows, horses and other animals in terror and having their bodies abused for fun. If Nathan thinks the rodeo is important to New Zealand society, I would argue that an end to animal suffering is important to the 63,000 individuals who went out of their way to inform him they’d like to see it stopped.

This feels like another attempt by government to be seen as listening to the people, but with an intention to continue as always. The Minister has made it clear that compassion is of little importance to him. If he refuses to admit that rodeo is cruel just to pat a few backs and line a few pockets in all honestly I think that makes him a crummy Guy.

At the centre of this issue is the animals. This is the real deal of rodeo in New Zealand – terrified animals, injured animals, abused animals and I’m one of many locals who did grow up in rural regions who’d also like to see it stopped:

If you passionately agree that rodeo is wrong we need to keep the pressure on. Let’s communicate – with resilience and let John Key know what we think:

1. jay1 says:

100% Jessie!

Humanity needs to steer away from animal torture to a vegan diet. That’s rice and protein beans etc. CC will extinct us and animal torture will be at at an end! 🙁 The torture will end.

2. Draco T Bastard says:

It did. I had NFI that rodeos happened in NZ and then I get told that it’s an important part of my culture? Yeah, fuck that.

National only ever listens to a select group – business people – and even then it’s only a select group of that select group – their donors.

3. Words says:

Completely agree with you Jessie, cruelty in any form should never be tolerated, but the National government have persistently turned a blind eye to animal cruelty in this and in other industries, and one has to ask themselves, why? Are these animals abusers donors to the National party?

4. michal says:

Thank you for putting this horrendous video on line. I have always been opposed to rodeos but this is more dreadful than I had ever understood. How the Minister can say they are important to society is beyond me. He personally should have to watch this disgusting abuse of animals. Is there a vet overseeing all of this or not?

As for the cowboys they are so brave and strong, lets tie their legs up and let them howl with pain.

5. Blake says:

Consider sending tons of complaint emails and phone calls to the NZ Rodeo Assoc. and to the PM. and . . . . . . . .
    Contact Warkworth city council and complain etc.

This kind of cruelty is overwhelming and we need to speak up against this abuse for these poor animals and try and change this rodeo culture.

6. Danyl Strype says:

Thanks for highlighting this Jesse. Rodeos are part of NZ society in the same way beating children is part of NZ society; a horrofic pattern of abuse, perpetuated by people who lack compassion and abuse their power.

The animal rights movement in Aotearoa have stopped many similar examples of abuse for “entertainment”. Every circus based in Aotearoa now features only human performers, and I can’t remember the last time a visiting circus used non-human animals in their acts. Another example from the late 90s was the “Running of the Rams”, which involved herding dozens of terrified sheep up Christchurch’s Worcester Boulevard as a tourism promotion stunt. We held a vocal protest at the event, and I don’t think it lasted beyond the first yet. Rodeos will lose public support the same way, as will Nathan Guy and his ilk.

7. Kim dandy says:

@danyl – public support already lost here, for both ‘sad’ attractions.

Authorised by Martyn Bradbury, The Editor, TheDailyBlog, 5 Victoria St East/Queen St, CBD, Auckland, New Zealand.