Two Years On: So Where Is Our Anti-Rape Petition Now?

By   /   December 3, 2015  /   15 Comments

Around two years ago I submitted your petition – a petition signed by 111,000 New Zealanders – to parliament. We spoke up strongly together on the streets and through our signatures against rape culture, the government’s inaction on rape, and the violence of the Roastbusters.

jessie_hume__roast_busters_petition_2_3_4_N2-300x224

Over that period I have had ongoing contact with government services and the conversation has continued to this very day. Today I met with the Social Services Select Committee to discuss this further. I was told by people – not just left-wing people but right and centre-right people as well – that my submissions were an important aspect of this process and that they cared about these issues.

The Committee are considering the establishment of specialised sexual violence services, in particular for communities that are geographically remote, or groups that are isolated for cultural reasons (i.e. indigenous groups, migrant populations and gender minorities).

This is what I told the committee. I hope I have represented you well:

“People are more afraid of being called rapists than raping.

And from what I’ve seen this is because we let patriarchy control the narrative:

This is from Cameron Slater’s blog yesterday on Tania Billingsley and I think it accurately expresses what I mean:

“When people, women, try to destroy other people, men, by using the most feared weapon of all: that of being part of or supportive of sexual crimes in any way, that’s almost as bad as the real thing. Reason is lost, hysteria replaces it, and the only outcome is damage to both sides.”

This is a pretty devious and malicious quote and no kind or reasonable person would suggest that talking about rape with transparency is anywhere near as bad as rape. It supports the myth of false accusations. You would be right to get angry about it, but it offers us some insight.

What we need to do is actually support and enhance the idea that community-based responses are a good way to deal with sexual violence conflicts, and that community solutions are a safe and pragmatic method of dealing with these issues, not just for survivors and families but also the (typically) men in the community who have done wrong as well. That it is OK and right to participate in community solutions.

This means having strongly established people in each community dedicated to dealing with sexual violence, people who are educated on the social restrictions that inhibit participation and most importantly that these groups are well-funded enough to advocate powerfully at the local level and break down those social barriers to restorative justice through community projects. This means having police working in relationship with these community-based groups and offering restoration as an option in the early stages of sexual violence reporting.

(I included in my submission here a specific example that I recently witnessed in which a person I know disclosed information about the rape they experienced by a former partner. When this was revealed the broader social group moved together with severe hostility to protect his reputation above all other considerations. This resulted in the terrible online abuse of the survivor and ultimately the only consequence for this male was the positive reinforcement of his social relationships. By the time restoration was offered, the survivor was so further traumatised they felt the suggestion was not in good faith and that they had no support.)

This is our current social habit, and we need to challenge this.

So the first step is to recognise this then establish community groups that work to advocate for culture change. If they have the money that will allow them to construct their own culturally-appropriate and creative ways of communicating with their own people. This is especially important for indigenous and migrant communities and gender minorities who need their own voice.

This requires rape-literacy, not ambulance at the bottom of the cliff strategies (only crisis support):

What I personally wanted as a survivor was to communicate:

– You are not to do this again
– Those around you know what occurred. It had a consequence to me. You need to acknowledge the harm caused and demonstrate that you have learned.
– Your actions had severe consequences for my physical and mental health.”

I was asked by a committee member “But won’t this let rapists think they can get away with anything and avoid jail?” And I said that I didn’t have all the solutions but that currently rapists were having what is effectively no consequences at all and that often survivors were experiencing a pile-on of social violence. I also spoke about how social violence and isolation can have severe impacts upon a person’s health, and that allowing people to creatively work in a new community-based direction to bring their own solutions to the table was the most important first step.

If you signed the petition I want to thank you and urge you to taking action on this issue. It matters.

1. ALH84001 says:

We can only persevere and hope that idiots like Slater are made pariahs like drunk-drivers. His support of rape-culture is no less destructive than enabling a drunk driver to get behind the wheel and drive home.

The phrase “I drive better when I’ve had a few” is no longer tolerated in the community and Slater’s comments are every bit as repugnant. But that’s the kind of person he is.

• Mike the Lefty says:

Slater is obviously one of those incurable creatures who still believe that when a woman says “no” she means “yes”.
      When cretins like him are purged from our society we might have a chance of becoming a more decent and caring society.

• elle says:

We need to purge his handler John Key he started Slaters career off by encouraging him to use the spy method of attack, and Slater has gone from bad to worse,so has Key who is selling nz to his mates the corporations,thats why he will push through TPP if he can.The TPP disscussions are being held in NZ,so Key is the driver and beneficiary.

2. Namo says:

Great article but a few things that worried me..”myth of false accusations”.

What do you mean by this? Though most accusations are substantiated, there are of course going to be a large number that are false. This is why we have a justice system (which needs reform on the police-level), and actions taken outside of that system before guilt has been determined in a court of law, is going into very dangerous territory.

• Jardinier says:

“there are of course going to be a large number that are false. ”

Really Namo, so you just start off approaching this issue by deciding that “of course” (??) “a large number” (evidence??) are false.
      Do you apply this same assumption to other reported crimes?

• Namo says:

Well the problem is that it is near impossible to tell, but studies shown the confirmed number to be anywhere from 2-10%, while the actual number could be an unknown amount higher. This fits with other crimes which sit around 10% as well, but with incompetent police-work it is quite hard to tell.

But really any number is cause to take the assumption of innocence very seriously. Unlike most crimes, a false accusation of rape WILL ruin a life, even after it is proven false. I am not saying the majority of accusations are false or anything.

• Lara says:

When I claimed I was burgled there was zero questioning about the veracity of my claim.

The only question was, who did it?

Not did it happen.

We really need to start approaching claims of rape in the same way.

But we don’t. And there’s the crux. And victims know it. We know the default is we shall be disbelieved and publicly vilified. That’s why rape has one of the lowest reporting rates of all crimes!

• Namo says:

It’s a question of taking them seriously, not necessarily believing 100% that the person they are accusing is a rapist.

Your example is also different as you are not accusing a specific person of robbing you.

• Bryce says:

Those responsible still have to be proven guilty to reasonable standard, for example through forensic evidence and possession of stolen goods. ‘Innocent until proven guilty’ (or at least not guilty by default) still applies and btw this is a human right according to the UN.

Rape is a difficult crime to prosecute (in private, no witness) reflected in the low conviction rate. Misogynistic attitudes have a influence on that no doubt. An inquisitorial system has been suggested in place of the current one, which balances the rights of both parties. That is fair and reasonable, the assumption of guilt isn’t.

3. mary_a says:

Many thanks Jessie.

The vile, bigoted spew which constantly emanates from Slater’s overblown mouth, demonstrates he missed out on the intelligence and decency genes when they were handed out!

He hasn’t evolved and I doubt he ever will!

4. Boyle says:

Okay, I hate the aptly named Slater as much as anyone else, but can someone explain to me exactly what is wrong with this statement? Is it saying that false accusations aimed to slander are almost as bad as actual rape, because I can see that being a contentious issue. Or was it the context it was used in? The rest of the statement seems to be accurate to me.

5. Cassie says:

“I am SO SORRY, JESSE,
    BUT (as you have detected)

Addressing “Rape Culture” or any such genuinely pressing HUMAN issues,
    is NOT ( =does not compute)

Nor will EVER be on the Agenda
    of our faux ( =now Corporate -ised), Government .

A Corporation exists ONLY to make PROFIT $$$$$$$$$

You SURELY have noticed how Statutes are created to make more “rules to be broken” = MORE REVENUE $$$$$$$

“Statutes” of course have NOTHING to do with Common Law/Human rights/Human concerns)

So SORRY.

” Rape Culture” therefore “does Not Compute”